WineXpert How critical is primary fermentation temperature?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemom

Reaction score
Having gotten all my fresh juices into carboys for aging, I decided to try the Chocolate Orange Port kit. I've been following the directions to the letter, except that I'm having a terrible time keeping the temperature within spec (72-75 degrees F).

The house has been around 66-67 degrees during the day and a couple degrees cooler at night (we never heat over 66.) I purchased a "brew belt" but haven't had much luck with it - yesterday morning I discovered that the must was up to 85 degrees so I removed it!

The yeast is Premier Cuvee and according to the manufacturer will ferment within a range of 45-95 degrees F. Will it be a problem if I let the kit ferment around 66-67 degrees?

Fortunately I've avoided low primary fermentation temperatures, but it seems to me you're right on the edge of potentially sluggish or stuck fermentation. My suggestion is to find a warm place in the house to locate the wine.

Tony P.

I use an old woolen blanket to wrap my primary bucket in during the cooler temps of winter (in my basement cellar). The couple of extra few degrees keeps my fermentation temp around 70-72. Never had a problem. You could also try putting an old desk lamp with an incandescent bulb nearby. They are cheap and warm up quickly.

winemom...

with most kits, the temperature is not that important. Usually a little cool will just result in a slower ferment.

Unfortunately, these port kits can be prone to a stuck fermentation if the conditions aren't ideal. There are a number of threads on the forum about this.

I would suggest doing your best to keep the temperature in the specified range.

Steve

I find that a brew belt will get the primary a bit warm so use door stop or wooden wedges to get some separation of the belt from the bucket. You'll have to adjust daily a bit to control the temp but this seems to work well for me. I use 3-5 wedges letting the belt contact the primary between the wedges.

temperature being off is number 1 cause of stuck fermentation. I use a submersible fish heater for mine. It has a temperature setting and convection keeps het rising and temperature consistent.

Some good suggestions! I have the brew belt on, with shims underneath at intervals, and am experimenting with # of shims and belt placement. I also got a stick on liquid crystal thermometer so I don't have to keep opening the bucket every time I check the temperature. Hope to get the temperature in spec and stabilized by the end of today (day 3). The airlock is still bubbling away so I think the yeast are still in good shape.

Sounds like the chaptalisation phase is where these kits tend to get stuck and I hope to get the system worked out before that point. It doesn't help that we are changing seasons and have a 50 degree day followed by a 34 degree night followed by a 72 degree day!

I use a 120 volt lamp dimmer to control the temp of my brewers belt on my glass carboys, but you can achieve the same type of control by just moving the belt up and down on your carboy. Low for more heat higher up for lower heat.

You are going to find that once the fermentation gets going you may have to turn the heat on the belt down for a few days as things heat up naturally from the fermentation process.

That cooler temperature is going to come in handy when you bulk age your wine.

Put the brew belt on to get fermentation started. Once it starts, remove the brew belt. Fermentation will generate its own heat until it slows, at which time, reapply the brew belt.

If you don't reapply the brew belt, that particular kit will not finish out during secondary. (It seldom finishes below 2.010, anyway, even with some heat.)

Put the brew belt on to get fermentation started. Once it starts, remove the brew belt. Fermentation will generate its own heat until it slows, at which time, reapply the brew belt.

If you don't reapply the brew belt, that particular kit will not finish out during secondary. (It seldom finishes below 2.010, anyway, even with some heat.)

Robie - 2.010 is a pretty high SG - that could run a car i think :)

I use a brew belt also to get started, then when activity "heats" up, I unplug for a few days. I also unplug/ plug back in to ease back on the heat level. I also have a strip of insulation and an old towel to keep temp constant.

+1 on the fish tank heater. The part the goes into the must is glass, simple to clean. Set for 72F and there you are, no problems with lower temps. Used it 4 times now, works fine.

Latest posts

Back