pH on Cherry wine is 3.7

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Is the 3.7 pH OK on my cherry wine? It has been at 1.000 for a few days now and I plan to rack to secondaries today. Some gallons I will add dark chocolate and toasted almonds.

If I need to make a change what do I use/do?

From a wine standpoint doesn't sound too bad. Could be s tad bit lower I suppose. How does it taste on the tongue?

There is c02 and mostly all I can taste is alcohol. From my limited experience going into secondaries, this seems to be "normal"

CO2 is normal. You may have to degas but it may also go away all on its own with time. Once it is gone you will be better able to gauge the acid level by mouthfeel. Sounds like its doing fine at the moment.

SG is still 1.000 this morning. I have the all in one pump on the way. Should it be degassed going into secondary? I am thinking it needs to finish up fermenting in the secondary with an air lock

Keep it warm, give it a good stir and let it go until it finishes out (0.998 or less) Do not attempt to degas until you racked off the gross lees and the wine has fully finished fermenting. The CO2 is protecting your wine at the moment (from oxidation)

Mike it is warm here in NC it is in the 80's and we don't run air conditioning. It has been at 1.000 for several days now. I have not stirred since yesterday and it looks fairly clear from what I can see.

I believe it is actually lower because that is the actual reading without considering the temperature.

Latest posts

Back