PH Meters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/High-Accurac...ype-pH-Meter-Tester-Thermometer-/110837905570

It may be cheap chinese crap but I've been using it for my other hobby (hydroponics) for years and it hasn't let me down yet.

The two specs that you should look for are resolution and accuracy. This meter has a resolution of 0.01pH which is great for our application and similar to the low end offerings from Hanna and Milwaukee. The accuracy is definitely worse than the Hanna and Milwaukee meters but that is the trade off for the huge difference in price and the margin of error is still acceptable for what we are doing.

Last edited:
Man if that doesnt look like a Blatant copy of the Hanna PHEP I dont know what does!!!!

They should be calibrated before each use or once a day if your doing a bunch of pH measurements over the course of say a few hours.

i am very new as well. here is my first really dumb question lol what is this used for i just started making my first kit. never read anything about ph meter or is this for ones made from scratch.

Those all look good. I would make sure the meter is temperature compensating, which I figure all of these are.

i am very new as well. here is my first really dumb question lol what is this used for i just started making my first kit. never read anything about ph meter or is this for ones made from scratch.

You don't really have to have a PH meter for making kits. They are pre-balanced well enough for most tastes.

I had a Hanna pH meter, but it crapped out on me after about 6 months, so a few weeks ago I bought the Milwaukee. I've only had it a few weeks, but so far it is working great!

Thanks All, Had been leaning to the Milwaukee, will order this week. Now onto researching SO2 meters. Wife says buy what you need, Hey, she's the chemistry major! & wine drinker! Roy PS I just sample! CONSTANTLY!

If you are looking for both a ph and so2 meter, why not consider the sc-300 from vinmetrica? I believe dan and others have the so2 tester from them. I was actually looking at them today.

I think as far as S02 testing goes there are really only 3 options. 1 being the big Hanna unit like I have and its very pricey at about $800, the cheapest option is the AO set up which can be tricky and a little timely for people like me who dont have any chemistry back ground at all! Then you have the Vinmetrica unit which is probably the best option and an affordable 1. Noit to mention he is an advertiser here who supports this site!!! Its also the easiest way to go, even for a total newbie!

Latest posts

Back