Hello everyone, first post on WMT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
just wanted to say hello. I used to be on FVW but was off line for a few months while I was studying for a promotional exam. Its good to be back and good to see some familiar names.
Just a quick update on my stuff, I have 6 gallons of Winery Series Wash. Merlot. That has been bulk aging since Aug 17th. I think I will be bottling that soon.
I also have 6 gallons of Regina Cab Sav. from a bucket. I never got the sg down below 1.014. I dont know why. I did every thing the same as another Regina bucket that I have of merlot and that one went fine. That one is still bulk aging. Both of those were started on Oct. 17th.
I also crushed approx. 120 lbs of cab franc. that I was able to pick from the vineyard that I was helping out with last year. I have 11 gallons of that in glass as we speak. I just put that into a fridge today to try and cold stablize it. I tried a MLF but for some reason it didnt work. not sure why. Not really sure how its going to come out but well see.
Ok well enough for now. -Bruce

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to see another crossover from FVW.

Did you check your pH & SO2 levels, for the MLF? If they arent in the right ranges, things dont always go as planned.

Welcome to this forum Lieu. Did you sulfite the buckets when you got them and then inoculate them with a wine yeast of your choice? If so could it have been already starting to ferment with wild yeast? I say this because letting wild yeast do its thing is risky and this can be the result.

Welcome to the forum, Bruce. Glad to see you over here.

For those of you who do not know, Bruce is one our brave fire fighters and along with our military and police, we all appreciate their commitment, hard work and dedication to our safety.

Did you sulfite the buckets when you got them and then inoculate them with a wine yeast of your choice?

Hey Wade, Yes I did but the bucket was already starting to ferment with the wild yeast. I also added a Cab Sav grape pac from FVW. Im guessing that the buckets having already starting fermentation with wild yeast had something to do with it. I tried alot of tricks that I got from everyone on FVW and also from Regina themselves but nothing worked. I marked it up as a learning experience. I do have a question about that batch though. Is there any way to get the "fizzyness" out of the wine? My friend likes sweet wine but when he tasted it he commented on the "fizzyness".

I also just moved the Cab Franc to the fridge to try and cold stabilize. How long does this usually take and will this mellow the wine out? I have a few more questions but will ask in a different thread. Bruce

Latest posts

Back