Mango Inspired Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartm

Reaction score
I recently found a big box of mangos in my kitchen that needed to be used up so I was inspired to make a new mead. Thankfully I still had some honey in the pantry to use (Always a good idea to have some extra on hand).

Here is my recipe so far...

Mango Inspired Mead (4 L batch)

3 lbs. Buckwheat Honey (Probably would be good with Orange Blossom)
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient (will add another 1/2 tsp later)
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
juice from 1 orange
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup strong irish breakfast tea
~1 cup frozen peaches
1/4 cup black grape raisins
5 apricots
3 Mangos (will add more into secondary)
Sweet Mead Yeast

heat about 2 cups of water to 160 degrees. Add nutrient and energizer. Keeping above 150 and below 175 add honey and juices. After 10 minutes, transfer to primary fermenter and put in an ice bath in the sink. Cool water was added to the 4 L mark. The tea, peaches, raisins, apricots, and mango were all added (total volume is ~5 L). The must was stirred often to airated until the temp was at 73 (should be between 70-75). The yeast was pitched and gently stirred. After 10 hours I am already getting action on the bubbler.

I will post a pic soon...

No need to ever heat honey. Heating it can drive away the delicate aromas. Just beat it (I've used a kitchen beater) into some water and continue mixing until everything is well blended.
Sounds interesting, can't wait for the pics.

I agree with vcasey on not heating the honey. This used to be done a lot but it has come to be not needed.

I have not heard the egg beater technique. This would make things a lot easier. I'll have to try this with my next mead.

Latest posts

Back