Hello from NW Wisconsin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been making wine for just about 2 weeks now. yep 2 weeks, bought a Kit from George in February and started in on the 20th. It's a Village Vintner Cabernet Sauv. I've read, ad reread many posts on this site which has been great help. I am just following the directions per George for this first batch and learning from that.. I think So far so good.. I'm in secondary right now.. my SG read .995 for the last 2 days and will check again tonight, no more action in the airlock and going to rack again on friday night. Were making this with some friends, so gives us a good excuse to get together on Friday nights drink and make some wine!... Can't wait to start the next batch and keep it going from there.. We have to keep going with as much wine as we drink! Will keep you updated..

Welcome to the forum,
KnappStcellars!

Glad to have you with us.
Please do keep us updated, and as always....we love pictures! :)

Welcome to the forums!

Make sure to do the racking before you start drinking!
smiley36.gif

Hi and welcome. I am about one year ahead of you. Started Jan 2009.
1. Have fun
2. keep a detailed notebook.
3. the hydrometer is your friend.
4. Age the reds longer than you can stand.
5. Everyone makes errors the first few times ... just learn from them and move on.. the wine is very forgiving.
6. Ask lots of questions
7. Save up for more carboys.
8. Have fun

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here. Good luck with your winemaking, John.

Welcome to the best forum on the internet!! You will learn a lot here. As you can see I am also from NW Wisconsin! Where are you? Maybe we are neighbors.
smiley4.gif

Thanks all.. it's a great forum..
I have one local shop in town that carries supplies which is nice too for little things like an extra stir spoon and sanitizer and such, but I am very pleased with what I bought from George and he has been awesome answering my stupid questions when i first started..
I'm excited.. I actually tasted a small sample of my wine last night.. I'm assuming it's going to be a bit "bitter" or sour? I guess that is how I'd describe it? but the follow up flavor was pretty good and I think It's going to turn out nice? we'll see.. I had some issues with temp at first but LIke i said , the fermenting is done I'm sure...
I can't wait to start the next batch.. not sure what to go with, but we'll be discussing it tonight over dinner with our friends how are in it with us..
to answer your question Hannabarn, I'm in Rice Lake.

Welcome to the forum. Great idea about starting in with some one. Its so much fun to share. Follow IQs advice, its all true.

Welcome aboard and welcome to your new obsession. It really grows on you. The folks here are a great bunch of people. Lot's of knowledge and lots of witty fun. :)

Welcome KnappStcellars to a great forum and a great hobby.....From NW Minnesota, but get over to that Birchwood area sometime, maybe we can get togather and trade some wines....Have fun and enjoy....
smiley4.gif

Welcome, glad to have you onboard..did George send you the pamplet on how to post pictures on the forum ( hint, hint George ) with your order ? We do like pictures you know
smiley36.gif

Welcome to the forum! And I agree with the above, save up for more carboys!

Iget to Rice Lake occasionally and I do visit the Village Dell for small orders. Bert and I get together sometimes when he is in the area. Maybe sometime we could all get together and do some trading and swap lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on completing the fermentation of your first wine!
smiley32.gif

Back