Scuba Inspired!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
After watching Scuba's thread on a $5 wine, and feeling a bit inspired I set off to the store to try my hand at a bargain basement wine. Perusing the isle's , I came a cross the fruits..bananas, over ripe, $1 a bag.
smiley17.gif
Now I've used banana's to add body, never as the base. Knowing there isn't allot of flavor to be had there I knew I needed a few kickers in the must to make it palatable..maybe. I got three bags of bananas, about36 in all, very ripe. Scourging the cabinets back home, I came across two forgotten cans of cherries, in they go! A Cinnamon stick, in it goes! Found I hadfour bags of wine raisins left, three red and one white...in they go!
20090103_065032_hobby_005_Small.jpg

Brought the bananas up to a boil, most recipes I found used this method, then simmered for about twenty minutes. Poured the liquid into the fermenter, wrapped the fruits up in a straining bag and in they went.
20090103_065402_hobby_006_Small.jpg

20090103_065602_hobby_007_Small.jpg

Added the raisins, cherries, cinnamon stick, brought the SG up to 1.85 using brown sugar. Figured the molasses may add a little flavor to this bargain basement must.
smiley36.gif
Pitched the yeast on 12/27, racked it this A.M.
20090103_070103_banana_001_Smal.jpg

As I expected, there is going to be allot of sediment dropped out of this one, so another gal of water, cup of brown sugar, and doing a second run on the fruit to make a top up batch.
20090103_070350_banana_002_Smal.jpg

Who knows, maybe there will be something worth drinking here, if nothing else, Scuba has shown that in this hobby, anything is possible, even making a wine with very little investment!
smiley32.gif
Total cost to me, not counting what I already had, $3...count it all, maybe $8-$9.
smiley4.gif

That is an interesting batch going JW. It sounds like it should be really good. Even if it doesn't work out well, you will have a ready made smoothie going there- with a kick!

JW, I found myself singing your recipe to the tune of 12 Days Of Christmas! I think Scuba has started something here, and I am anxious to hear how your wine turns out.
I think the 5 gallon apple wine we started is going to be under $10 for the whole thing.

JW'S Bargin Basement Wine
I bet that itwas quite odoriferous during fermentation. Looks good.

I think that something can be learned here. I am just waiting tosee what it is. Keep us informed.

Where did you get "Wine Raisins" What varietal are they? I have never heard these except for maybe whats included in a Mosti kit. Are they your grapes that were just shriveled up?

The Scuba Scrounge Wine Comp. has started.
smiley36.gif
I will be starting my entry this week.

Well Rocky Top, whats your offering?
smiley36.gif

The Bargain Basement Wine has started to clear really well, taste not bad, maybe go to bottle in a month or so.
20090125_044709_000_0348_Small.jpg

Heck, it may make a decent smoothie after mowing the lawn this summer!

That has a nice color coming aroung JW. I bet it smells pretty good also. I bet it will have great body with the bananas and also raisins in it.

JW, I got side tracked on my Scuba Srounge Wine project. I have 3 empty 6 gallon carboys!!
smiley3.gif
I do have a plan for my Scuba Scrounge wine, I just need to find a get away driver.
smiley36.gif

Your project is looking good!!
smiley20.gif

Experimentation is why I love this hobby!! Now you've go me inspired too. I'll be checking the grocery stores this week!

JW, Where do you get "wine raisins"???

Rocky Top, name the time and place. I'll drive. Make sure you bring a helmet though....some body armor wouldn't hurt either...
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back