Curiosity is aggrivating the cat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
Okay.. I started my primary fermentation Sunday (9/9). It's now Thursday evening...4 days. My airlock is still bubbling away....is it safe to take a peak inside the fermentation bucket, just to see what's going on?

I'm thinking tomorrow night, Friday, I'll take my first SG reading. Then I'm off to Longview until Sunday when I get back to take a second reading to see if we're reading to rack and go on with the next steps of the kit.

btw: it's a VR Riesling...

Thanks!
Bovine

Get in there and take a look bovine, take a whiff to! Dont be afraid of it, but do be sanitary with it, sanitize everything that goes in there and everything that your wine goes in to.

Exposure to oxygen will not adversely effect the wine during primary fermentation, in fact it will help.Look all you want, the biggest concern would be not to let any foreign material get in there. Some (myself included at times) will lay a clean towel or such item over a primary instead of sealing and using an airlock. During secondary fermentation, you do want to limit the exposer to oxygen, thus use a airlock and keep the carboy topped up.

Back