Resizing Digital photos

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Since we are limited to posting pictures that are <150 kb what is the best and easiest way to accomplish reducing the size of larger pictures for posting? I know this topic was discussed way back but it has come up again and I myself have struggled with this at times.
I normally adjust the resolution of my camera down to 640 x 480 pixels from the normal normal/default setting of 2048 x 1536 pixels for taking pictures for the forum. I have noticed I lose some quality of pictures this way.

I did a search and found that there is a Image Resizer tool for those you use Windows XP. Anyone use this?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

Thanks

Okay, this is how I do it....

If you have Windows Office, you can stick the CD in and install Microsoft PhotoEditor. It's the best little Image program that is unfortunately not automatically installed with Office.

This is what the icon looks like.
20060911_115726_Microsoft_Photo.jpg

Then, when you save the file as a jpg, you can say "good quality" or "low (byte) size"

I usually reduce my pictures to a smaller "size" and then slide the scale to about a 75% compression.

I've also used this on my websites. You can do batches of images with this little tool.
http://www.mihov.com/eng/ir.html

Thanks masta, it works fantastic, it downloaded over my slow phone line
in a few minutes, and in seconds I resized this photo from 1.26 megs to
37kb.

Works fast and EASY!!

20060911_122128_FRANK3_Small.JPG

AAASTINKIE said:
Thanks masta, it works fantastic, it downloaded over my slow phone line in a few minutes, and in seconds I resized this photo from 1.26 megs to 37kb.
Works fast and EASY!!

yea, but not only did it reduce the size of the pic, it also caused some type of time warp... you look like a little kid in that photo now!Edited by: sangwitch

I download the resizer and as Frank says it works easy and simple...two clicks and you are done.

20060911_160853_P1010025_Medium.JPG

Summer Home in Newport....
smiley36.gif

AAASTINKIE said:
Thanks masta, it works fantastic, it downloaded over my slow phone line in a few minutes, and in seconds I resized this photo from 1.26 megs to 37kb.
Works fast and EASY!!

20060911_122128_FRANK3_Small.JPG

Unfortunately, it looks like shrinking the size of the picture, also shrunck the size of the fish
smiley36.gif

Yes this program does work great. Anybody that emails or posts pictures should download this right now! Thanks Masta!
smiley32.gif

Thanks Masta.....the resizing tool works great, sure makes short work of posting photos.....Before, I would use my Email program to resize the photos for me...I thought that was good...but this is great!!!!

For those of us using Macs, resizing in iPhoto is very easy. With a photo selected, choose Share/Export, select the format, then select Scale Images no Larger Than: and enter 367x244 for an image size that just squeaks in under Scott's allowable size of 150k.
smiley2.gif

Back