Leelanau's Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appleman, Here's a closer look. I have just over 1 gal in the primary it appears. What does Masta think?
20060723_171745_smaller4.jpg

Leelanau,
How long ago did you rack off the wine? If you kept the liquid in the primary clean, you might want to try and get some more of it in the secondary. Don't worry about keeping all of the yeast out, it will settle in time. If it is less than clean now- any fruit flies getting at it would ruin the whole batch- don't put it in. First rackings to secondary don't need to keep all the yeast out- better to put too much in than to keep out too much liquid.
Good luck with it.

Yes it is low and with this type of kit you should not have more than an inch of lees left in the primary when transferring to the secondary. As appleman has said if the material is still in the primary and has not been contaminated with anything go ahead and transfer and only leave the very thick solids on the bottom.

Appleman and all, I had some help tipping the primary further and racked to almost a full carboy. It is still fermenting as I have bubbles in the airlock. I had the primary covered with the lid after the first attempt - the lid was off for probably 15-30 minutes while I first racked and then was trying to decide wheter to do more or not, but I don't think any fruit flies are around in the basement here. Once I decided to leave and "ask the forum", I covered it.I had the primary covered again while I did my e-mails and debated. I started the second attempt within 1 hour of the first attempt starting. It was still sizzling with activity while I was preparing my equipment for the second attempt. Here's a pic now: (Does my airlock look snug enough? It is working so it must be. Ever have the end of siphon hose come out of the carboy and spray the wall and floor with wine? I have now. I was straigtening the tube a tad and it came out! Ooops! Didn't touch the floor, though.)
20060723_185229_smaller5.jpg

20060723_185448_smaller6.jpg

Latest posts

Back