Need help with filter purchase

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelina

Reaction score
I have been reading for a couple of days on filters and I seem to be getting more confused as I go along. Please help

Do I need a pump to use a filter like the "the vacum pump" that the vacumpumpman offers? I understand now that you can't use a pump on plastic carboy which is all I have so far.

The pump I am looking at is a Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter Wine filter
and from what I read I should use 3 filters to get the job done correctly. And can I use this with a auto siphon? I am also understanding that these filters are a 1 time use??? Seems the $$$ would add up fast like this. Are they really one time use or is that just a ploy to get me to buy more over and over?

Do you have a better suggestion? Without spending over 300.00?

Angelina, does your husband know how much time were spending together? LOL

Seriously If you are looking at the Mini Jet which is a good filter I would buy from here.. http://www.musca.com/store/cat52_1.htm
The Canadian price of $134 is unbeatable. I bought mine here. Even with shipping the cost will be better than any place in the US. Buy lots of filters at the same time. They will not add hardly anything to the shipping price and the cost of them is reasonable. This filter is all self contained so you won't need to buy anything else to go along with it except filters.

With that being said I now prefer cartridge filters which require a vacuum pump. Wade was selling these earlier this year and the pumps can also be used for racking your wine without moving your carboys. If you can twist his arm and sit on his back (won't be hard it's already broken) he might be able to help you out. I'm not sure if he's getting back into selling these or not.

One alternative to the mini jet is a round plate filter (about $90 here) - it uses 2 filters (about $3) - it uses a small pump (aquarium pump) that pushes the wine from your carboy through the filter, so can be used on plastic carboys. The filters are one time use but can be used for more than one wine (kits) if you are careful. I have used one for about 10 years with no problems.
You don't need an auto syphon with a pumped filtering system.
Vacuum pumping is preferable and can be used with a plate filter as well - I now use a vacuum pump with mine.

One alternative to the mini jet is a round plate filter (about $90 here) - it uses 2 filters (about $3) - it uses a small pump (aquarium pump) that pushes the wine from your carboy through the filter, so can be used on plastic carboys. The filters are one time use but can be used for more than one wine (kits) if you are careful. I have used one for about 10 years with no problems.
You don't need an auto syphon with a pumped filtering system.
Vacuum pumping is preferable and can be used with a plate filter as well - I now use a vacuum pump with mine.

Dugger good points. Yes the mini jet can be used with Better Bottles also. I have filtered up to four 6 gallon carboys with the same pads. The wine absolutely sediment free when I did it and it was one carboy right after the other with no breaks for the motor to cool down as they suggest.

If you dont want to go with a pump at all and want to use just gravity then there is a gravity filter but it will take about 45 minutes to filter 6 gallons and like any filter the wine must already be clear. Here is a link to it but it doesnt show the actual filter so Ill show you a pic of it as I have this also and use it for very small batches. http://finevinewines.com/XPListDet1.asp?MM_PartNumber=5292
Filtering.jpg

In reality IMO the best tool to have is a vcuum pump as you can rack, degas, filter and bottle with one and that really cant be done with any other pump. I recommend either the pump by vacuumman who supports this site or a pump off Ebay but going that route will requite additional stuff which can kill you in shipping due to having to get multiple things at multiple places. I dont sell the pumps anymore nor do I plan on doing so anytime in the near future, just too much work and too much running around trying to find all the stuff needed and also it ties up a lot of money for quite some time until it starts paying for itself again.

Thanks for all the help. I just talked my honey into a glass carboy, (these things do breed and plastic to glass bonus lol) a vacuum pump from the vacuumpumpman and a filter from Wade if I could get one at a fair price :( Wade petty please with skeeter pee ;) If you give me a supplies list I would be happy to gather and send send it to you.
but I will understand if you can't Wade

LOL He said thank you for helping me, but I my be taking that as I am not picking his brain for now so it might be a thank you for the break.:b

Angelina, does your husband know how much time were spending together? LOL

Seriously If you are looking at the Mini Jet which is a good filter I would buy from here.. http://www.musca.com/store/cat52_1.htm
The Canadian price of $134 is unbeatable. I bought mine here. Even with shipping the cost will be better than any place in the US. Buy lots of filters at the same time. They will not add hardly anything to the shipping price and the cost of them is reasonable. This filter is all self contained so you won't need to buy anything else to go along with it except filters.

With that being said I now prefer cartridge filters which require a vacuum pump. Wade was selling these earlier this year and the pumps can also be used for racking your wine without moving your carboys. If you can twist his arm and sit on his back (won't be hard it's already broken) he might be able to help you out. I'm not sure if he's getting back into selling these or not.

I have the gravity filter that Wade show. It works OK for 1gl or so. I picked up a Mini Jet last week. It uses 3 filter elements at a time, so each package of 3 is for one use.

Latest posts

Back