Other Best Kit For Dry, Full Bodied, Tannic 'High End' Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone on this forum would make that suggestion.

Wine kits are concentrates who's chemistry is 'adjusted' accordingly. So if one only adds in enough water to dilute it to 5 gallons, instead of 6 gallons, but then makes sure the chemistry is adjusted...isn't that simply concentrating the wine more instead of diluting it more?

Seems it's almost like dropping fruit. It's done to concentrate the fruit thats left on the vine.

As long as the chemistry is maintained, what could be the downside (aside from taste if you don't like concentrated flavors)?

I never have adjusted water on a high end kit (18liter) but i have had someone give me a pinot noir cheap kit and by the time i got to 20 liters the sg was already down to 1.1, garanteed if i added another 3 liters which it called for it would have ended up about 1.080 which is way too low for a red wine for my taste. Anyways we ended up trying a bunch of tweeks with it ( cause it was free) added extra oak, only made it into a 20liter kit, we shaved some 90% dark unsweetened chocolate, and the kit ended up great, we even had a blind tastings with red wine kits and even though it wasnt everyones favorite it definitly wasnt everyones last choice, and it was being compared to only 18 liter kits because thats all we buy. Almost everyones first choice was the cc showcase amarone/rjs trio red

Wine kits are concentrates who's chemistry is 'adjusted' accordingly. So if one only adds in enough water to dilute it to 5 gallons, instead of 6 gallons, but then makes sure the chemistry is adjusted...isn't that simply concentrating the wine more instead of diluting it more?

Seems it's almost like dropping fruit. It's done to concentrate the fruit thats left on the vine.

As long as the chemistry is maintained, what could be the downside (aside from taste if you don't like concentrated flavors)?

I am confused -- What exactly do you mean by maintaining the chemistry."? What is the action you are proposing?

i have had someone give me a pinot noir cheap kit and by the time i got to 20 liters the sg was already down to 1.1, garanteed if i added another 3 liters which it called for it would have ended up about 1.080

My math say 1.087: (20 * 1.100 + 3* 1.000)/23 =1.087 (or about 11.5% ABV).

Latest posts

Back