When are yeast nutrients needed?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I was talking to one of the guys at the local brew store, and I had asked if yeast nutrients were needed. He told me that kits already have enough nutrients in the concentrate, so it would be overkill.

That being said, I was going to use a 50/50 D254 and D80 blend. Since I'm using "third party" yeast, would I need to add nutrients? Or is that more for making fruit wine, etc.?

I was talking to one of the guys at the local brew store, and I had asked if yeast nutrients were needed. He told me that kits already have enough nutrients in the concentrate, so it would be overkill.

That being said, I was going to use a 50/50 D254 and D80 blend. Since I'm using "third party" yeast, would I need to add nutrients? Or is that more for making fruit wine, etc.?

I dont have much experience switching out yeast strains but i have been researching it due to most kits coming with ec-1118 now. I dont like using that on high end red kits. On lalvins website it says its not designed for reds, ec1118 also has a low nutrient demand. I bought rc212 for my reds as thats what lalvin recommends. Rc212 has a high/moderate nutrient demand so i dont think the kits would have enough nutrients to use this strain. Id personally add yeast nutrient and yeast energizer to the must, but ill let the pros chime in on this one.

yeast nutrients will give you a healthy fermentation regardless of yeast used. Go-Ferm is the best for yeast hydration. once fermentation starts Fermaid-K or Fermaid-O can be used. 1/2 at start and 1/2 after a third of the ferment has occurred. normal dosage is 1.25 grams/gallon for
Go-Ferm and 1gram per gallon for Fermaid-K or Fermaid-O

The only way to know if the must has enough nutrient is to send it to a lab. Since I do big batches, with grapes, I don't want to take any chances and always add nutrients as @salcoco said.

Are you going to split the batch, one with D254 and one with D80. Good idea, we've done this and they tasted very different, but the best tasting wine was when they were blended back together. You wouldn't want to put both yeasts in the must at the same time; chances are that one would dominate the other.

I have never used it for my kit wines. I have always used it for my fruit wines. And I ain't gonna change now regardless of what new enlightenment I might find in this thread.
635856167378467614-1781865564_how-to-deal-with-stubborn-kids-childhood-education.jpg

Are you going to split the batch, one with D254 and one with D80. Good idea, we've done this and they tasted very different, but the best tasting wine was when they were blended back together.

I just ended up going with D80 to simplify things for now. For my next red, I'll do the split! :)

yeast nutrients will give you a healthy fermentation regardless of yeast used. Go-Ferm is the best for yeast hydration. once fermentation starts Fermaid-K or Fermaid-O can be used. 1/2 at start and 1/2 after a third of the ferment has occurred. normal dosage is 1.25 grams/gallon for
Go-Ferm and 1gram per gallon for Fermaid-K or Fermaid-O

I picked up the Go-Ferm and Fermaid-K. I assume the Go-Ferm will go in with the yeast, then the Fermaid during primary?

go-germ is used to hydrate the yeast. heat water quantity equal to 20 ml per gallon of must or juice. heat water to 110degF dissolve go-ferm at dosage of 1.25 grams per gallon. monitor temp of mix when reduces to 106deg f sprinkle yeast on top and let stand for 15 minute. as such time temper to must and then add to must. Fermaid -K dosage is 1 gram per gallon 1/2 added once fermentation commences and remainder once fermentation sugar is reduced by 1/3.

Fermaid -K dosage is 1 gram per gallon 1/2 added once fermentation commences and remainder once fermentation sugar is reduced by 1/3.

Fermentation just started today, so with a six gallon batch I'd stir/sprinkle 3 grams of Fermaid -K in now.

My apologies for sounding dumb but is the final 3 grams going to be 1/3 of my starting SG (1.084) or SG when fermentation started? I can't math correctly, still waking up, lol.

Latest posts

Back