Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Beer Making > Oktoberfest/Märzen

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2350 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

My younger brother dropped by to give me some albums (yes I said albums) he had recorded. I gave him a keg sample of my Irish red and the Oktoberfest. He looked up from his glass and said that the Oktoberfest was the best beer he's ever tasted of mine. He mentioned it tasting like one of those small German refrigerator kegs you can buy. At last tasting it was still really young, so I guess 2 months old is old enough. Sent him home with a growler of it, made me feel good since I haven't tasted it recently, and won't for at least another 28 days. Had my wife drooling a bit since it is a batch for her...

People Like This 
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #12
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 597 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 406

that is why I started brewing beer and by extension making wine.....I want to make a beer like I had when I was in the Army over in Germany

I've since decided that I can't even remember what that beer tasted like 40 years ago....but, I'm gonna keep trying.

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
ceeaton

Feb 2015

Put the keg (in the basement) in a cylindrical cooler this morning, added some ice, and enjoyed a few Oktoberfest beer after I got done picking up to oldest two, one from a Field Hockey tournament and the other from work. This has really come around, I loved the flavor, but in all honesty it needs the malt bumped up a bit, or the hop level lowered to let the malt come forward. I'll make it again if I can get a "cold box" constructed to do a lager ferment this summer.

jswordy Likes This 
Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 597 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 406

cold box....chest freezer and a InkBird controller...done! After having one for a while, I wonder how how I lived without it. All freezers should have similar temp control. Right now I have 8 wild hog back straps soaking in brine for a few weeks....then a little smoke....then a machine thin slice and vac package as Canadian Bacon. Temp control beer ferments, cold crash beers and wines, extra fridge, meat cooler, beer box,...heck I have even used it as a freezer for a big batch of catfish and briskets!!

cold boxes....they're not just for beer anymore Craig!

jswordy Likes This 
Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #15
ceeaton

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
cold box....chest freezer and a InkBird controller...done! After having one for a while, I wonder how how I lived without it. All freezers should have similar temp control. Right now I have 8 wild hog back straps soaking in brine for a few weeks....then a little smoke....then a machine thin slice and vac package as Canadian Bacon. Temp control beer ferments, cold crash beers and wines, extra fridge, meat cooler, beer box,...heck I have even used it as a freezer for a big batch of catfish and briskets!!

cold boxes....they're not just for beer anymore Craig!
I have a controller, just not a shoulder/right arm that can lug it down the basement steps. Ripped a bicep when I brought the old one up 3 1/2 years ago and vowed never to take a new one down, though I do have a strapping 18 year old son who I can employ on the cheap....

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
ceeaton

Feb 2015

Iced the keg down again. This is down to the last 1/3rd of the keg and getting really good! I guess time on some yeast has taken care of the off flavors I was perceiving, but my wife and brother have never taken issue with them. My goal tonight is to leave a few glasses for my wife tomorrow, but as I'm sipping on a pint I'm finding it hard to stop drinking it!
5-13-17_Oktoberfest.JPG