Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > General Wine Making Forum > Differences in making wine.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
WilliamSYKES

Feb 2017
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
I love it. Do you measure the specific gravity so you know how much sugar to add and when fermentation is complete? I'd be interested in doing an indigenous yeast fermentation, but when I plunk down over $1,000 for grapes, I get scared.
No I know it sounds crazy but depending on what varieties of berries I'm using ( highbush vs rabbit eye) and how sweet the berries are and how many pounds of soft berries I can get depends on how much sugar I use. My last batch was 52 lbs of blueberries and 48lbs of sugar and I added 30 gallons of water and 6 months later I had 35 gallons of wine. I gauge when it's done by it no longer bubbling in the jar of water. This year I'm making 6-7 40gallon batches and I'm gonna take samples and measure acid and sugars and tannins and see where my recipes fall. Fruit is no problem for me, we have 45 acres of organic blueberries and we have a small muscadine vineyard that's maybe 1-1.5 acres and I just today was told that there is 3 acres of grapes and I can have all of them for free if I just come pick them when they are ripe.

Johny99 Likes This 
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #12
NorCal
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Apr 2014
Liked 1398 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSYKES View Post
No I know it sounds crazy but depending on what varieties of berries I'm using ( highbush vs rabbit eye) and how sweet the berries are and how many pounds of soft berries I can get depends on how much sugar I use. My last batch was 52 lbs of blueberries and 48lbs of sugar and I added 30 gallons of water and 6 months later I had 35 gallons of wine. I gauge when it's done by it no longer bubbling in the jar of water. This year I'm making 6-7 40gallon batches and I'm gonna take samples and measure acid and sugars and tannins and see where my recipes fall. Fruit is no problem for me, we have 45 acres of organic blueberries and we have a small muscadine vineyard that's maybe 1-1.5 acres and I just today was told that there is 3 acres of grapes and I can have all of them for free if I just come pick them when they are ripe.

You don't know how fortunate you are to have fruit at your disposal. Revive this post after your sophomore year. I think you will be surprised how much better your wine will be. I talk to a number of UCD grad winemakers and their knowledge and nice equipment gives them such an advantage over us amateurs.

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #13
Floandgary
Bottle at a time

Dec 2012
Liked 319 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 315

In the end the Song Remains the Same,,,,, "If your taste buds are happy and they know it, Smack your lips!!"

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
WilliamSYKES

Feb 2017
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I'm hoping to set up my own commercial winery in the next 5 years. We are expanding our operation hopefully by about 200% if the land purchases go through. The larger winery in my area supports the viticulture and Enology program at a local community college. It's nothing like UC Davis but it's the only place close to me that has this type of program. Next place that does a similar program is all the way across the state and does not offer online programs

Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
NorCal
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Apr 2014
Liked 1398 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 424

It sounds like you have an excellent path. School and building your technical foundation is a really good idea. UCD also has distance learning. I would finish all your math, chem, biology first.

https://extension.ucdavis.edu/areas-...ficate-program

WilliamSYKES Likes This 
Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
WilliamSYKES

Feb 2017
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Only problem with the UCD distance learning program is that it is really expensive and working as a paramedic right now and trying to help on my days off at the farm money is something that's not exactly abundant right now lol

Johny99 Likes This