Leelanau's 1st Batch Bottled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
Hi all, here's my pics of first batch bottled. German Muller-Thurgau. A lot of pics similar to this on the forum, but I'm still proud as ever! Favorite tools were the drill mounted stirrer, the corker, and the fast flow spigot used for bottling. As with other's pics, a few corks were not flush, but it seemed to depend onthe amount of wine in the bottle and the balance of the corker when pressing them in. Overall, I am very happy with all tools in my beginner's kit. I skipped the bottle wand and just placed the bottles slightly over the spigot bottom and filled that way (sanitized spigot of course). First taste while bottling revealed a very sweet taste like Riesling and very light. Will be good when aged and chilled later on! Sort of like left-over food - better the next day.
20060826_164851_bottles-smaller.jpg

I havetwo cases of 750's, one 1.5 recycled bottle in background, and 3/4 of a 750 in the fridge to sample on though brand new. I left a half gal in the carboy when bottling so as not to get too close to the sediment. Of note, I left my wine for 3 weeks in the clearing stage though clear at two weeks.

This pic is a close up shot but a little blurry - and the bottle has not been wiped of residue on the outside yet. I also need to label them soon.

20060826_165703_bottlecloseup-s.jpg

Well, just thought I'd share!
smiley17.gif

Edited by: leelanau

Excellent job! I usually bottle whats left without sucking up too
much sediment for topping up similiar wines in the future aster racking
but before clarifying. Nothing worse than coming out short on a racking
and either having to go out to buy a bottle or two just to dump it into
a wine your not going to be able to drink for awhile.

Congratulations! They're beauuutiful!!
smiley32.gif

I wonder if winemakers ever get used to the feeling of delight when all the work is in the bottle!

Wonderful job Leelanau!

I never get tired of seeing newly bottled wine lined up like soldiers! I still get excited about that and I've put a few batches under my belt!

Get us a few pictures when you get them labeled. Again, great job!

Leelanau here, Thanks for the wonderful comments! Wondering: I forgot to keep the level of the wine to 2 finger widths or 1 1/2" below cork bottom. I have about a 1/4" or a little more under each cork. Will I run the risk of leaks as I have read on the forum and in the winexpert brochures (due to pressure)? Could I just tilt the bottles slightly with something underneath each one to allow the corks to be slightly damp and not experience full pressure of the wine? Just wondering... Leelanau

As long as you followed the directions carefully (the batch fermented completely and you stabilized properly) you have no need to worry about the corks pushing out. The extra pressure comes from compressing the air in the top of the bottle when inserting the cork and if they stay put for at least 3 days then go ahead and rack them and admire your 1st batch truly complete!

Congrats!!

Great job on your first batch! Looks good. I love german style whites so save a bottle for me
smiley2.gif

Pete

Back