Why I Make Daylily Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Well, it's Daylily time again:

20060717_101450_medaylily.jpg

This was taken at my house.

Here's the real reason why I make daylily wine, though. This is my sister's farm.

20060717_101633_daylily.jpg

That's just one of maybe 30 patches of daylilies.

Here are some more.

20060717_101716_daylily2.jpg

And some more

20060717_101743_daylily3.jpg

She's got them all around the riding arena in the back there too.

:)

Ahh-Haa...that explains it...wondered how many Daylilies it took to make a batch of wine....? Looks like you have a endless supply...Being as the blossoms only last one day...do you have to pick everyday?How many pounds/quarts. etc....?.... does it take...????
Picking flowers and produce from your own gardens is almost a Religious Experience...the best part of growing anything....And it's such fun to be outdoors
smiley16.gif

Beautiful place, and no shortage of lillies. I envy your sister, she is lucky to live in such a lovely home!

Pete

Pete,
Yes, it's a lot of upkeep, though. She runs herself ragged, doing everything herself. Horses are not a good business to go into, and she's soon converting her one barn (she has 3 of them) into a top-notch dog-boarding facility/hotel. (quick plug: http://www.ultimuttinn.com)

NW, I pick about 2 quarts per gallon of wine. on mywinerecipes.com there is the recipe. It turned out fantastic, and everyone loves it. I think now that it's aged about a year, the rating would have at least gone up by 2 places. Light, fruity, and just the right amount of sweetness.

I believe Jack Keller also has a recipe on his website for daylily wine.
smiley1.gif

Those look like what we call TigerLilies around here. They grow like weeds all over around old farmsteads and the sides of roads. Maybe I will have to giveit a try making some wine from them.
smiley20.gif

Your sister will probably do well with the Pet Hotel. I have a client who I did house plans for that opened one in our small town and it has done so well that they are starting a chain of them here around the northeast.Edited by: appleman

Latest posts

Back