Several asked about paintings...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple folks asked about the kind of paintings I do. Today I was in BMW's neck of the woods at an event where two of my paintings of Grant Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site were given as gifts. The first, below is an oil ("Good Neighbors") and went tothe rancher who donated 3,500 acres in an easement to insure the "viewshed" - what's seen from the national park -- remains as a ranch -- ie, "cows, not condos."

2006-05-31_220525_P5300031CropTHM.jpg

The second is a watercolor ("The Far View"), an old squeeze chute in the foreground and the easement the benchland in the background -- this was given to the board of the land trust that did the easement.

2006-05-31_221254_P5300033CropThm.jpg

I know this isn't wine -- so forgive me -- it's for those folks who wanted to see something. Unfortunately, BMW had to work today so wasn't at the event -- but this is great country and a wonderful view while you enjoy a glass of just about anything!
smiley2.gif

By the way, this national park area is in Deer Lodge, Montana and literally just off Interstate 90 -- and the only part of our national park system that celebrates the ranching development of the west -- if it were called "Big Cowboy National Monument" they'd getten million visitors a year!
smiley36.gif

Dave

Awesome pictures
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Very nice gift to give and to receive, and thank you for sharing. Ilove going to the Grant Kohrs Ranch, we took several of our exchange students to visit the ranch. I really enjoyed my visit at Christmas time.

Have you started painting your own wine labels yet? I bet you could come up with a great label.

OilnH2O:

Thanks for sharing your talent with us and reminding me why I make wine, flyrods and cabinets instead of butchering a perfectly good canvas.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

You are awesome!!!

The canvas is stretched,

The paints on the pallete

The brush in my hand

But where is the talent?

That creates all thosescenes so grand.

The paint now touched

by the tip of the brush

And the scence races in with such a rush.

From the mind and the heart

Both now as one

commandingevery movement of the brush

until the painting is done.

OilnH20,

That's a wonderful talent you have! Like Pepere, your paintingsare testament why I stick with woodworking. I can't draw a stick man
smiley36.gif

My daughter is talented in sketching. I'd love for her to move into painting sometime.

I have secret talent desires. To be able to draw, paint and sing. But then I think of that Little Mermaid and be glad for what I do have.

Thank you for sharing some of your work. It isn't wine, but this being a community, we want to see what all is going on! They're beautiful. I can almost smell the grasses.

You are all too kind... No, wait. I used to live in Kentucky and Tennessee, so...for whom THIS is the proper way... "ALL y'all are too kind!"
smiley9.gif

But I do appreciate the thoughts, and am humbled by Waldo coming up with an original of his own. Wow. Getting that response, a Waldo original... well, that'seven better thanJack Keller posting a response to one of my comments!
smiley36.gif

Thankyou!

What part of Kentucky did you live? I grew up in the coal fields of Eastern Kentucky and did a little coal mining before I gave my heart to Uncle Sam
smiley4.gif

PK -

Edmonson County. And, both my kids wereborn there so I have a Hart County girl and a Barren County boy!
smiley36.gif

I was at Mammoth Cave National Park (and in Tennessee at Great Smoky Mountains National Park). Three years in Tennessee and almost 7 in Kentucky -- enough to learn how to make a good julep (in fact, we have fresh mint syrup in the fridge) and Derby pie -- and the kids STILL know to stand up on the First Saturday in May and sing all the words to The Song!
smiley2.gif

BUT -- I gotta confess that the first spring we were there my wife and I kept saying to each other -- "WOW -- they sure do grow big spinich around here!"
smiley36.gif

peterCooper said:
Is that you Waldo or a quote?
Rather good either way...

Yep..It is me Peter...Back in full swing as as full of it as ever
smiley36.gif

Back