Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spree

RedWino
Reaction score
This is my first wine kit. I did my first racking my shiraz last night at SG 1.03. I've followed all the finevinewine videos and put the first part of a the rack into another bottle before racking to the carboy. However I didnt have a bung for a wine bottle so I racked to a 1gal jug with bung/airlock. The rest went into the carboy.

Question is when I filled the carboy I didnt fill to the neck I filled to where the glass starts to round. Did I not fill it enough? Should I move some of the wine from the jug to the carboy? Also should I rack the jug wine into a bottle (buying a bottle fitting bung in the process)? I'm just not sure of the effect the extra space will have other than a little air good, a lot of air bad.

Thanks.

Oh and first tasting was very good. =)
394344_10150581724009603_564474602_11021735_543224385_n.jpg

I would just add it all to the carboy. There is really no reason not to. It will all settle down to the bottom either way. Why rack two things when you can rack just one. Keep it warm and let it finish out. Make sure to top off with an inexpensive like wine, never water.

thats what I was thinking but heard that theres the possibility of overflowing the carboy during the secondary fermentation if you fill it all. I guess I'll top if off tonight then with the 1gal.

Thats why many/most of us wait to transfer to glass around 1.000. There is plenty of CO2 in the wine to protect it. The problem with Mosti is the wine volcano if you rack to glass at ~1.04, then add the supplied yeast nutrient and then oak, the rxn will create a huge release of ammonia gas that will cause foaming out the top.

So there's really no impact on the wine in waiting longer to do the first racking? I guess I don't understand why the instructions would have you rack so much sooner then.

None.

Just add the nutrient to the primary at ~1.04, snap the lid, add the airlock and let it finish out. You can even give it a gentle stir once a day if you want and re-snap the lid.

I started working every thing to dry in the primary this year. Alot less headaches. I also don't stir juice other than when pitching, unless i have fruit or skins soaking.

On another note, the universal drilled bung will fit inverted on a 750ml and 1.5l bottle with airlock. These come in handy as I have two 1.5l in secondary now.

Well its bottling weekend I cant wait to get a good taste.

I would slow down a bit to make sure it has dropped all it's sediment and is good and clear. Just because they call them 28 day wines doesn't mean that they will be good by then. If you bottle now, figure on getting some sediment and you will need to decant. Buy yourself a few bottles to dring and give it a few more weeks in a filled carboy. You will be glad you did later.

Sorry I missed this thread, Spree. I started the same Shiraz in December last year. I added a 2 pound f-pack of raisins to the primary and squeezed it daily to get all the flavor. When it hit 1.04, I racked it to the secondary (minus the f-pack) and added the oak. Joe (one of our esteemed members) convinced me to "think outside the box" and layer my flavors. It is bulk aging now (another one of my "new" methods) and tastes awesome. My stepson thinks it may be my best yet! We shall see this Spring.

Yours looks nice in the bottle. And I like the austere label.

It been several months and my Shiraz tastes pretty good now. =)

Nice clean label. How does the wine taste to you? What is the significance of "Strait Wine?"

Strait is a family name.

As for the taste it was great. Its been aging about 10 months now. I tried some at 6 mos and it definitely tasted young. Now it tastes pretty good.

Latest posts

Back