WineXpert First Wine Kit - Tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneo Teras

Junior
Reaction score
smiley5.gif
I'm making my first wine kit, a Wine Expert Selection Limited Edition Pinot Noir. I'm just finishing the secondary fermentation (day 7 in the carboy). I tested the wine today and the SG is 0.994. I'm assuming now that the fermentation is complete.

I tasted the wine that I used to test the SG and it's flat. I can smell "carbonation" although there are no bubbles. I haven't stirred the wine yet because I was waiting for day 10 of Step 2 before Ido Step 3. So far I have followed the directions exactly as written. I have a few questions:

Is the Wine supposed to taste flat at this point? It tastes almost watery.

Does it matter if I start clarification, "Step 3", early if the fermentation is complete?

After the clarification, is there any advantage to aging in the carboy as opposed to bottling right away.Will evaporation concentrate the flavorsin glass similar to aging wine in barrels?

Are you sure it is a Limited Edition Pinot Noir? If it is, it is close to 2 years old and way outside the manufacturer's guarantee. Did you purchase it recently?

My wife gave it to me for Valentines day this year... The number on the box is Pinot Noir 0232606 0446Edited by: Oneo Teras

Welcome Oneo Teras

According to the date code it was produced on Nov 22, 2006

02 is second production run of day
326 is the day
06 is the year
0446 is the number kit done during that day

So the kit has to be a Selection Premium or Selection International

To answer some of your questions:

I tasted the wine that I used to test the SG and it's flat. I can smell "carbonation" although there are no bubbles. I haven't stirred the wine yet because I was waiting for day 10 of Step 2 before Ido Step 3. So far I have followed the directions exactly as written. I have a few questions:

Is the Wine supposed to taste flat at this point? It isn't complete yet and needs time before it will taste like it should It tastes almost watery.

Does it matter if I start clarification, "Step 3", early if the fermentation is complete? Please follow the directions for the timeline...there is no advantage and possibly issues if you proceed too quickly

After the clarification, is there any advantage to aging in the carboy as opposed to bottling right away.Will evaporation concentrate the flavorsin glass similar to aging wine in barrels?There will not be any evaporation and concentrations of flavors bulk aging in a carboy

If it just say pinot noir on the white label, it is either a Selecion Premium (Original) or a Vintner's Reserve. If it was a blue box, the Selection Premium which is a very nice kit and I sell a lot of them.

Would be very interested how it all shakes out for you. I picked up same kit (made same day!0232606 0533) from a closing sell saturday, just started it yesterday afternoon, fermintation just getting good.
20070318_172959_PinotNoir.jpg
20070318_173055_pinotnoir1.jpg

I'll let you know. I start Step 3 on Tuesday.... When we are done we should trade a bottle. Find out if the air and water in AZmake the winedifferent than MN.
smiley4.gif

Almost 3 months in the bottle now... Been tasting once a month and it is amazing how it changes! About to start my 2nd wine. Amarone.

"Patience Has Its Rewards" doesn't it Oneo. It will only continue to improve.

20070801_161127_noirtrade_Small.jpg

Nice little package waiting for me when I got home today, Pinot Noir from the ol' motherland of AZ. Looking forward to it Oneo, hope yours arrived there today also.

Back