How to get rid off the sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I immediately bottled the wine when the fermentation is finished. Two of my bottles have the same amount of sediments.

That explains the sediments. You are supposed to allow your wines to clear before bottling.

That is the point of racking the wines. You rack it off the sediment (clear it) prior to bottling. Once the wine is clear, you can bottle it. You skipped the entire clearing process which then proceeded to happen in the bottle.

That explains the sediments. You are supposed to allow your wines to clear before bottling.

That is the point of racking the wines. You rack it off the sediment (clear it) prior to bottling. Once the wine is clear, you can bottle it. You skipped the entire clearing process which then proceeded to happen in the bottle.

Throughout the fermentation process, I racked the must with the siphon 2 times before bottling. I also used the siphon for bottling (I guess I'm not so skilled at it.. :ib ).

Last edited:
hum,, lol, ok i make country wines, cherry, peach, black berry, pearapple blend an so on, ok afterfermentatin is done, i rack into a secondery then after 3 months of bulk aging i then very carefully rack into aclean cary boy each timewaiting 3 months between each rack i repeateack 3 month rack 4times that is one year, back sweeten to taste, sorbate and k-meta, except for pear and elderberry them i rack every 6 months 4 times thats 2yearsback aging, to stay in drink i hear they have quick kits and then theirsskeeter pee, another quick drinker, these ventiors can tell you many more quick drinkers, but most of your fruits,berries and i hear yourgrapes will need at least a year, i know have a6 gallon carboys from january 2016 i'm fixing to bottle, black berry, elderberry. andapear/apple blend, but 2 morepear/appleblend that will needanother year, and ayear oldwildflower honey mead with STELLA hops 1/2 ounce and 3 lbs of wild blackberry, all but the 2 apple pear i will bottle in febuary, after an exter racking then setting 1month, theway i get a pear apple in oneyear is to wait 9 months on the 3carboys then irtack off the clear topson all three, this lets my have a pear/appleblend in one year i pour the leesof onecarboy into the other 2carboys, these will take 2solidyears toclearwith about 2to 3inches gross lee's, so it all adds up to one thing, patince,,, but you can ferment quick drinkers for drinking in the nex 1to 2years, time will give you avery fine tasting wine, ime is your winesbest friend, remember store on side in cool dark area,
best of luck to you..
DAWG::

[/B]
I racked the must with the siphon 3 times before bottling (I guess I'm not so skilled at it.. :ib )

Sorry, troughout the fermentation process, I only racked the must with the siphon 2 times before bottling. I also used the siphon for bottling (I guess I'm not so skilled at it..). And the acid blend, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, meta bisulphite that I bought are 6-7 years old.

Last edited:
hum,, lol, ok i make country wines, cherry, peach, black berry, pearapple blend an so on, ok afterfermentatin is done, i rack into a secondery then after 3 months of bulk aging i then very carefully rack into aclean cary boy each timewaiting 3 months between each rack i repeateack 3 month rack 4times that is one year, back sweeten to taste, sorbate and k-meta,

That requires a level of patience I don't currently have! I have a blackberry port (my first "real" attempt at a wine) that is currently three months old that I've racked it several times already. I always feel like I need to be doing "something" besides waiting :)

Quote: I always feel like I need to be doing "something" besides waiting

That was me for my first year of wine making. Now into my second year the fever has worn off and I can bear the waiting much easier. Of course I also have some wine to drink so I can enjoy them and 'mellow out' a bit. Of course collecting bottle from the recycling center gives me more work to do to clean and prep the bottles.

Remember that if the wine doesn't set still long enough the sediment won't have time to settle to the bottom. At three months that wine should be just left to age while you start planning and working the next batches. I've got a fresh can of Black Currant Juice ready to start another batch in about a month or two. Meanwhile I have some peach and blueberry wine aging and some Zinfandel and Blush Zinfandel starting to ferment. Once you get a few batches in process you'll have enough to keep you busy.

Latest posts

Back