Sour cherry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichB

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, my cherry tree is laden with sour cherries.. I'm looking for a simple recipe using around 3lb of cherries, but can't seem to find one.. Any help appreciated...

you need to use at least 5 pounds of cherries, add enough sugar to bring sg around 1.080 and ph should be around 3.5 - 3.6, add a little tannins and nutrients and you are good to go!

What Julie said! Really, take her advice and don't shortchange the cherries. 5-6 pounds per gallon makes a really terrific cherry wine.

Thanks for the replies... Roughly how much sugar should be added? I'm not too sure how to reach the sg by adding a bit of sugar at a time...
Tannin? Cold tea?
Also how do I go about finding the ph?
Sorry for asking what sounds simple questions.., but I'm fairly new at this :)

So far I've made (last year) banana wine, tastes great, but leaving it until next year before sampling more .. Also blackberry wine.., that's also pretty good given my inexperience..

This year (last week) I started a black currant wine.., seems to be going ok..

Might have to buy more cherries as I don't think there's 5-6lb on the tree..

Thanks

I can't tell you how much sugar, sorry. You really need to learn how to read the hydrometer. You should be able to buy test strips at your local brew shop to test ph.

So I basically start 6lb of cherries, 1 gallon of boiled water over them., add say 1lb of sugar, then check reading?, and add more a bit a a time until reading gets near to what it should be?
Will order ph strips online

So I basically start 6lb of cherries, 1 gallon of boiled water over them., add say 1lb of sugar, then check reading?, and add more a bit a a time until reading gets near to what it should be?
Will order ph strips online

Yeah, that is more or less the idea. It might go more easily if you took a SG reading before adding any sugar, then use this tool to calculate how much more sugar you need to reach your desired SG:

http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/

Personally, I would make that calculation, then add about 2/3 of the amount called for, check SG again, then add more as needed.

I throw a Vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise, during the fermentation when I make mine. There is a hint of Vanilla with the Tart Cherry flavor.

Rob

Last question :)

So;
#6lb cherries halved in a fermenting bucket
#Just under a gallon of boiling water into bucket.
#1lb sugar dissolved into bucket
#test sg
#add more dissolved sugar if need be to reach sg
#let cool, add yeast (citric acid?) yeast nutrient
# test ph (how do you change ph?)
#when readings are ok, cover for 5 days, stirring daily
Transfer to demijohn and leave it to do its stuff..

Does that sound about right?? As you can see, I need things set out in simple layman's terms :)

Freeze the cherries for a couple of days first. It helps to break them down so the juice can get out. I usually destone them as the stones will give a bitter taste. It seems to go away with time tho. Usually put the fruit in some kind of a fermenting bag. Makes it much easier to remove the fruit when it comes time. I just use tap water, not boiling water. Don't forget the pectic enzime as it will help break the fruit down and help it to clear in the final stages. Arne.

Well, as I indicated, I think the correct order would be:

#6lb cherries halved in a fermenting bucket
#Just under a gallon of boiling water into bucket.

#TEST SG
#calculate needed sugar addition
#add 2/3 of that amount
#test SG

#add more dissolved sugar if need be to reach sg
#let cool, add yeast (citric acid?) yeast nutrient
# test ph (how do you change ph?)
#when readings are ok, cover for 5 days, stirring daily
Transfer to demijohn and leave it to do its stuff..

Latest posts

Back