Go-Ferm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I have a problem understanding a part of the procedure for mixing Go-Ferm.
To Use: Mix Go-Ferm in 20 times its weight in clean 43°C(110°F) water. For every 1 kg (2.2 lb) Go-Ferm, use approximately 5 gallons of water. Let the mixture cool to 40°C(104°F) then add the active dried yeast. Let stand for 20 minutes. Slowly (over 5 minutes) add equal amounts of must (juice) to be fermented to the yeast slurry. Watch the temperature difference. Do not allow more than 10°C(18°F) difference between the must (juice) and the yeast slurry. Atemperate as neces*sary.
The part about "Slowly (over 5 minutes) add equal amounts of must (juice) to be fermented to the yeast slurry". Would you give me an example of equal amounts over 5 minutes. Also, if I did my math right. You use 1000 grams in 5 gallons of 110*F water--etc. I make 5 gallon batches so I need to add a very small amount of water, does 12.5 grams of Go-Ferm to 1/2 pint of water sound right? Thanks for any help.
Semper Fi

This is how I do it.
For every 1 gallon batch of wine, I use 1g of yeast, and 1.25g of goferm. So for a 5 gal batch, you would use 5 grams of yeast, and 5x1.25g goferm = 6.25g of goferm. The volume of water needed is 20 times the weight of goferm added. So 6.25g x 20 = 125ml of water. Do NOT use distilled water.

You need to heat the water up first to around 110F. Add in your goferm addition. Stir it in so there are no clumps. Keep an eye on the temp and once it drops to 104F, then add in your yeast. Stir it in gently. At 15 minutes, stir it gently again.
At 20 minutes, I then some of the must at the rate of half the volume of yeast starter mix. So for this batch, add around 60 ml of must and let it sit for 15-30 min. Then check the temp. If the temperature difference is greater than 18F, then add another 50-60 ml of must, let sit for another 15-30 minutes. Check temp again, if it is within the temp range, then you can add the yeast starter to your must. If not, then every 20-30 minutes, continue with the small must additions until the temp is within the range mentioned.
Now your yeast/starter mix should be happy so add it to your must. I gently stir it in.

I buy small packets of 5g yeast and 8g go-ferm. I have not had a problem yet. (knock on wood).

Norske's directions are good ones, same ones I use.

Been reading some more on yeast nutrients, we have fermaid k,o, and a. Is each one used on different types of wine ? Can I just pick one (K) and use it on everything ? The deeper I go, the less I understand ????
Semper Fi

One last question, I promise. What is the proper procedure and in what order do you add Fermaid K and Go-Ferm?
#1 Add yeast - some say hydrate yeast others say sprinkle it on top of must.
Is the point that I would use the Go-Ferm, rather than sprinkle it on top?
#2 Add half the Fermaid K after adding yeast and the other half at the half-
way point. Some say to add DAP at this point, does this mean to add the
other half of Fermaid K and also add DAP ?
#3 Is Go-Ferm really necessary to get the yeast start?
Thanks
Semper Fi

Go-Ferm is used in the rehydration-step; if you sprinkle the yeast on top, there's no chance to properly use Go-Ferm

Fermaid-K is a particular blend of Yeast Nutrient, so it goes in the must/wine, where Go-Ferm goes in a Yeast Starter / rehydration process; Fermaid-K and DAP fill the same role, so if you add DAP at halfway, you may or may not want to add Fermaid-K - that just depends on the batch of wine you're working on, and if it has low YAN.. They're both tools, and each tool has its place..

So you would get some hot water (110F if i remember right), mix the Go-Ferm into the water, let it cool to room temp, add the wine yeast, and let it rehydrate in the Go-Ferm water... After 15-30 minutes, or longer if you choose to build the starter up, you'd add the rehydrated yeast + Go-Ferm to your awaiting must, starting fermentation... And add Fermaid-K shortly thereafter

Necessary? No.. But it does give the yeast a healthier start

Latest posts

Back