Common Terms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sticky?

Sorry for having to ask, but what does stick mean on the threads?

The subject stays (sticks) on top when you click on the topic on the main forum page.

Campden Tablets - Potassium Metabisulfite in tablet form which is used at the ratio of 1 tablet per gallon when adding to wine. Can be called 'NA-Meta'.

Isn't Campden Sodium-mitabisulfate?

They can be both bjut usually its potassium. i have even seen sorbate in tablet form before.

just to assure you of my sanity.. :)

2010-05-16%2011.54.51.jpg

This is a very fascinating post and its great to describe about the general terms used.Its an appreciable post and its informative too.

Thanks.:b

Another term: back sweeten

I'm really just learning and have been making 1 & 2 gal. batches of a variety of wines. (13 so far) I'm learning a lot with each batch but none will be ready for some time. I've seen the term back sweeten in many posts and I suspect I know what that means but would like a more exact definition, please.

Thanks!

I'm really just learning and have been making 1 & 2 gal. batches of a variety of wines. (13 so far) I'm learning a lot with each batch but none will be ready for some time. I've seen the term back sweeten in many posts and I suspect I know what that means but would like a more exact definition, please.

Thanks!

Backsweeten is the process of raising the SG, adding more sugar to a wine. Once a wine has fermented to dry less than 1.000 SG - there is essentially no sugars left. In order to get a sweeter finish to the wine - you add sugar. This is - of course - only done once the wine has completed fermentation and sorbate and k-meta have been added to prevent renewed fermentation.

"Sodium Bisulfite" provides SO2 just like potassium metabisulfite, however the sodium compound is less expensive. Sodium bisulfite is used for sterilizing wine making equip. Because it contains sodium, it is not "usually" used as a source of sulfer dioxide in the wine.

Backsweeten is the process of raising the SG, adding more sugar to a wine. Once a wine has fermented to dry less than 1.000 SG - there is essentially no sugars left. In order to get a sweeter finish to the wine - you add sugar. This is - of course - only done once the wine has completed fermentation and sorbate and k-meta have been added to prevent renewed fermentation.

Thank you.

Great Info Thanks

I would just like to say think you for all the info and posts on this blog, i live in Hong Kong and have just start making my own wine, Well trying to! i would not call my last batch wine!! i will keep reading and learning from you guys! I have learnt a lot about wine making but started with wine investment found that easier! but it definatly sparked my interest in wine making.thanks again.

I was just about to ask for a glossary of terms when I bumped this thread. Is the thread starter still updating?

I created this awhile ago with the basic and common terms. If there are any new terms we can add them but I believe this covers the vast majority. Glad to see it's getting used.

I created this awhile ago with the basic and common terms. If there are any new terms we can add them but I believe this covers the vast majority. Glad to see it's getting used.

Here's one.

What exactly is slurry?

A: While making wine, heavier particles will settle to the bottom of your primary fermenter. When you transfer or rack the wine from your primary fermenter to the secondary fermenter, you often leave this sediment behind and end up throwing it out. This “slurry” at the bottom of your primary is a veritable army of viable yeast, unused nutrients, and fruit flavors. Skeeter Pee essentially “recycles” this slurry by putting it to work in a new batch of wine.
-Lon

Can I make a suggestion for a list for newbies like myself? I see all these terms and chemicals being thrown around and added to various recipes at different times. Is there a general rule of thumb (for frozen fruit wine makers like myself) for:
What to add (chems)?
When to add?
Why add (what does it do)?
Benefits for short term/long term?
Additives for aging (in carboys and/or bottles)?

Latest posts

Back