removing labels easily

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not tried the oven method and probably will not since my oven does not vent outdoors. For the tough glue left behind after scraping I generally use Acetone which does a reasonable efficient job of getting off the the gummy stuff. However, I ran out this weekend and substituted Mineral Spirits (because I had a can on hand). The mineral spirits seemed to actually do a better job than the acetone, but it left behind a slightly greasy film that needed additional wiping to remove.

I think I like the spirits better, but I would like some other folk's opinions. After de-labeling, my bottles usually sit for a good period of time and will get a complete wash/sanitize before being put back into service.

Is there anything I should be concerned about by using mineral spirits?

For cleaning off what oxyclean does not handle, I have definitely found mineral spirits more effective than acetone. But personally I prefer carb cleaner spray, which is more volatile, and hence easier to get rid of, than mineral spirits.

Easiest way I have found is just using Hot Hot water. Fill it up, let it set for a few minutes and the wet label peals right off. if there is any glue, scotchbrite wipes it off while its hot.

I'm an advocate of using new bottles, primarily because I'm too lazy to scrape labels. But about a month ago I filled a large recycle bin with water, added oxiclean/Kmeta and acid blend and let them sit for 2 days. The labels didn't come right off but it was pretty easy scraping and the glue while still wet was not a problem with some with the water and a scotch brite pad. Out of about 30+ bottles only 3 or so the labels were too much trouble. Maybe took me 30 minutes total.

I'm an advocate of using new bottles, primarily because I'm too lazy to scrape labels. But about a month ago I filled a large recycle bin with water, added oxiclean/Kmeta and acid blend and let them sit for 2 days. The labels didn't come right off but it was pretty easy scraping and the glue while still wet was not a problem with some with the water and a scotch brite pad. Out of about 30+ bottles only 3 or so the labels were too much trouble. Maybe took me 30 minutes total.

I’m with you Fred, ain’t scraping no labels, never reused a bottle other than my own. My labels peel right off with no temp or tool tricks and leave no adhesive behind. They can be submerged in water and don’t run, blur, or peel. Easy button for me.

For cleaning off what oxyclean does not handle, I have definitely found mineral spirits more effective than acetone. But personally I prefer carb cleaner spray, which is more volatile, and hence easier to get rid of, than mineral spirits.

Wow! Carb cleaner . . . I like it. Sprays on and fits perfectly in the garage environment. Looks like I'll be making 2 stops on the way home tonight, 1) local liquor store and 2) AutoZone / NAPA. I guess NAPA might be more appropriate for this particular application.

Wow! Carb cleaner . . . I like it. Sprays on and fits perfectly in the garage environment. Looks like I'll be making 2 stops on the way home tonight, 1) local liquor store and 2) AutoZone / NAPA. I guess NAPA might be more appropriate for this particular application.

LOL at the Napa observation!

I am not if there is any essential difference, but I guess I meant "brake cleaner" instead of carb. For brakes, you certainly don't want any oily residue left behind, so it is probably better for the bottle cleaning application, too.

after the paper lable comes off and the glue backing is left, soak again, then use a brillo pad, and the glue comes right off.
i had the same problem...i was getting the top part off and then scraping like heck to get the glue off...i had to go somewhere one day and put the bottles back in the soapy water, next day it came right off with little effort with a small brillo pad....try it...you will like it...

I use a stainless steel scub pad with dish detergent and hot water. It takes off anything left after the label is gone.

To remove the glue use a paste of baking soda and vegetable oil. Scrub with a dish pad and let it sit till dry. Wash off with a bit of soap and all glue is gone.

I’m with you Fred, ain’t scraping no labels, never reused a bottle other than my own. My labels peel right off with no temp or tool tricks and leave no adhesive behind. They can be submerged in water and don’t run, blur, or peel. Easy button for me.
Johnd- What labels do you use? The peel off label that I have used from Staples cannot get wet, otherwise they bleed.

Would love to see more pics, full size, of your cellar. Just finishing mine.

Thanks
Seth

Johnd- What labels do you use? The peel off label that I have used from Staples cannot get wet, otherwise they bleed.

Would love to see more pics, full size, of your cellar. Just finishing mine.

Thanks
Seth

Here's the link to the labels I use on my bottles:

https://www.avery.com/products/labels/22827

And a link to the thread where my cellar build is documented:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/new-wine-room.52998/

If you'd like some detailed photos of specific areas, feel free to ask, I'll be happy to take some more photos this evening and post them.......

Here's the link to the labels I use on my bottles:

https://www.avery.com/products/labels/22827

And a link to the thread where my cellar build is documented:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/new-wine-room.52998/

If you'd like some detailed photos of specific areas, feel free to ask, I'll be happy to take some more photos this evening and post them.......

I've seen your wine room pics before and of course it's beautiful. What I want to see is an exterior pic of how in the world you tied the roof lines together.

I've seen your wine room pics before and of course it's beautiful. What I want to see is an exterior pic of how in the world you tied the roof lines together.

Why am I not surprised at that question !!!!!! Funny enough, it was really a pretty challenging problem to solve, but in the end, the simplest solution proved to be the best. It's a simple single sloped roof, involving only one roof line, which presented problems for locating the refrigeration equipment with little attic space, so I just moved the equipment into the attic behind the big gable wall and piped in the supply and return ductwork. I'll post a picture for you when I get home tonight to ease your mind..............

Why am I not surprised at that question !!!!!! Funny enough, it was really a pretty challenging problem to solve, but in the end, the simplest solution proved to be the best. It's a simple single sloped roof, involving only one roof line, which presented problems for locating the refrigeration equipment with little attic space, so I just moved the equipment into the attic behind the big gable wall and piped in the supply and return ductwork. I'll post a picture for you when I get home tonight to ease your mind..............

Thank you for sharing the links! Great project. Very talented. I am just finishing up my cellar and perhaps I will post some pics of the done deal.

D78D0DA0-92A9-44AD-8EDF-28A43B499C59.jpeg

Well, there it is, pretty simple looking now. Used some wide custom flashing in the shingle valley to the left due to a rather low slope, roof to wall on he back and right walls, nice new cement plaster on all the exterior walls. No complaints so far...

View attachment 51979

Well, there it is, pretty simple looking now. Used some wide custom flashing in the shingle valley to the left due to a rather low slope, roof to wall on he back and right walls, nice new cement plaster on all the exterior walls. No complaints so far...

Perfect solution, it always seems to be a simple solution in the end but getting there is sometimes a different story.

Latest posts

Back