What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got caught up at work (also an unexpected trip back home to pick up my youngest daughter from school, then head back to work (1:10 round trip) didn't help matters), but did get some ribs on the grill. Ran a bit hot but wrapped early. I think they tasted like bacon, so good in my book! Used some pecan wood for flavoring.

12-23-2020_ribs.jpg

OK, a few final pics. Turned out really well. My kids, who don't normally touch steak, went in for seconds. Did a little spaghetti tossed with EVOO, black pepper and parmesan, and some roasted broccoli.

1608778853841.png

1608778882530.png

1608778908750.png

1608778941364.png

And since the kids won't be able to do this with their cousins on this COVID Christmas, they decided to do it on their own tonight:

1608779024726.png

Oh yeah, and this is not a Prime Rib - just a regular old rib roast.

Actually, yeah, mine is just a rib roast, too. Like many, I get lazy and conflate the two.

Thanks for the deets. Sounds really, really good. Mine will be for the 25th, so maybe I should get the seasonings on there tomorrow!

This was Christmas dinner, so a day late:

Roasted artichokes (lemon, EVOO); sweet potatoes and butter; roasted lima beans with garlic, manzanilla olives, and thyme; a rib roast, which I marinated overnight in a persillade (EVOO, garlic, parsley, thyme) with slivers of garlic embedded in the roast. I did a reverse sear on this, cooking for a few hours at ~225F. I pulled it at ~120F internal temperature, and let it sit for an hour or so. After cooking the rest of the meal, I then cranked the oven up to 550F, and seared it for 10 minutes. Truth be told, the slices I cut off for our dinner was a little underdone, closer to rare than to medium rare. The funny thing is that the rest of the roast turned out essentially perfect. I guess I should have let the seared roast rest yet again. Oh well, it was still PDG.

Washed down with a cheap Amarone from WTSO. No one complained.IMG_1347.JPGIMG_1352.JPGIMG_1342.JPG

Last edited:
...Truth be told, the slices I cut off for our dinner was a little underdone, closer to rare than to medium rare....

Washed down with a cheap Amarone from WTSO. No one complained.View attachment 69806View attachment 69807View attachment 69808

Interesting you mention that. I've seen similar comments on The Virtual Weber Bullet and that was my feeling on my two roasts this week as well. Yesterday was only the 2nd time I'd gone Sous Vide with a tenderloin roast and Wed was the first time I ever did a rib roast (that wasn't Sous Vide, but was done low-n-slow with a sear to finish). Normally, when going SV with steaks, I hold at 131F, then sear. I think with a full roast, a few extra degrees might be needed. I'll experiment at some point - maybe in the next few days if I can find a good deal.

I saw another Juliet Amarone on WTSO today (didn't catch the year), but didn't get there in time to buy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back