What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We enjoyed ~tabouleh (cous-cous with red onion, cilantro, tomato, lemon, EVOO). Fennel (grilled low and slow in foil, then crisped up on hot grill, see below). Escarole, sauteed with garlic then braised, which I almost ruined by overcooking but Mrs. S_G saved the day by dousing it with sherry before I ruined it. And, the piece de la resistance, another dish of lamb spare ribs. These were marinated for ~6 hours in EVOO, garlic, some fresh rosemary, and LOTS of fresh sage. Then cooked low and slow on the grill in foil. We were then called off on a minor emergency to help some friends out of a pickle, and they proceeded to ply us with some rose in gratitude, so the fennel and lamb rested on the grill for longer than anticipated. After returning, I stoked the fire back up, took the fennel and the lamb out of the foil, and crisped them up over high heat. No one complained. (Actually, I complained about the escarole, but no one listened! :) )

IMG_0784.JPG

Fried zucchini last night - first ones from the garden!
I notice on the forum that many of you make zucchini and grow it at home. Have any of you tried fried zucchini flowers, either stuffed with cheese and prosciutto or as fritters? This was a real treat when I was a kid. Look on the internet for "fried zucchini flowers" and you will find many recipes. You use the male flower, i.e. the flower that does not produce the zucchini so there is no loss of production of the vegetable. Also, if you plan to stuff the flowers, pick them in the morning when they are open.

Jim, this is a Weber Smokefire EX6 pellet grill. Not gas...

I set the temp to 225 at 11am and the ribs were done at 5:30pm. Fall of the bone done.

I’ve been thinking about the convenience of pellet grills, have you tried a brisket yet?
There’s one I saw which I liked a lot with the digital probe and nice “control panel” large display, which I like, but
$800 “bones”

Thought it might be the Smokefire. How do you like it?
Jim, I like the grill but have only used it twice. First use was a beef brisket that turned out great. As @ibglowin suggests, it’s a Big Ask Grill...lol Previous to this grill I was pretty handy at smoking with the Weber kettle grill but it needed to be babysat throughout.

There’s a bit of a back story, if I can divulge, that is actually connected to the recently completed pizza oven: My youngest son got married on July 3rd. He and my now daughter-in-law, Kelsey, had hired a mobile pizza company for the rehearsal dinner. The effects of CoVId19 caused that pizza company to go out of business. I offered to host the rehearsal dinner and said I would build a pizza oven for the event. I had no idea what that meant as the words rolled out of my mouth on May 24th and only six weeks away. 20” of combined rain in May and June added a bit of pressure.

Because I wasn’t sure the pizza oven would be completed in time, I bought the Weber SmokeFire as a backup thinking we could transition to a Texas style BBQ feast if need be. However, we were able to get the pizza oven completed, albeit Ty Pennington style, in time for the rehearsal dinner and everything turned out ok. We cooked 40 pizzas on July 2nd!

Here’s a pic of the happy couple...

74074CEE-51C5-439B-B979-7D092D671A12.jpeg

I’ve been thinking about the convenience of pellet grills, have you tried a brisket yet?
There’s one I saw which I liked a lot with the digital probe and nice “control panel” large display, which I like, but
$800 “bones”
Yes, Don. The first use of this grill was a brisket. I smoked it for 18 hours, however, so we enjoyed it the day after. I started it at 6am and it finished at mid night with that giggly consistency a smoked brisket presents. It was delicious. But we had to go to plan “B” for dinner the night before, lol...

With all my spare time lately, I found myself reading up on the Smokefire. I never saw the need for a pellet pooper before, but this one's ability to do low-n-slow AND get up to 600 degrees was a little intriguing. Brand new product for Weber and initially, it wasn't going too well. They have evidently ironed out the wrinkles (some hardware, some software), and I'm hearing pretty good things of late. It comes in two sizes. I was at Lowes recently and they had the smaller one on display - my first reaction was 'that's pretty small'. In truth, you could probably fit 4 pork butts on there comfortably. But I think I'd get the EX6 if I were to get one.

@geek: You just missed a sale Weber had on them - $200 off.

I have been working on a "Pandemic Project" for the last few weeks trying to stay sane (not sure if its working). We rebuilt the fence on the east side of the house last Fall and I added another 9 feet or so this time. Had this idea of making a BBQ Mecca Man Cave of sorts. Lots of shade during the Summer back here especially in the afternoon. I have lights on the grilling Gazebo and LED lights on the fence that I can control like a laser light show if need be. Have some outdoor speakers out on the patio as well as an Echo Dot tucked away under the Gazebo. No big screen for the moment! Have room leftover for a grill cart and or Ice Chest combo of sorts. Maybe an adirondack chair. Still looking for the right one(s). Might add some planter boxes on the fence at some point. The original patio had a Hot Tub on it for years and there is 220V so maybe a Tesla charging station someday for Varis. LOL

I think I definitely need something to smoke this weekend!

IMG_5702.JPGIMG_5703.JPGIMG_5704.JPGIMG_5705.JPGIMG_5706.JPGIMG_5707.JPGIMG_5708.JPGIMG_5710.JPGIMG_5712.JPG

Tonight was kind of meatless Monday. Sautéed 'shrooms with shallots, garlic, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar. Leftover chopped Israeli salad from Saturday (cukes, peppers, red onion, tomatoes, garlic, seasoning, lemon and EVOO). Some leftover grilled zucchini. And the main course was mafalda and rotini pasta with tons of fresh sage, almond flour, and crushed walnuts, with EVOO and parmigiano-reggiano.

IMG_0785.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back