Ferm Stuck in secondary!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon batch of Skittle wine going. Starting SG was 1.080.
I transferred to secondary at 1.010 into a glass gallon jug.

I have no movement, no bubbles (usually there are bubbles visibly floating to the top towards the airlock) and SG has not dropped in 3 days.

Question:
How do i get Ferm going again to get it below 1.000?
Add more yeast?

Do I have to put it back into the fermenting bucket if I were to re-ignite fermentation?

Last edited:
The SG is too low to safely dose with yeast energizer/nutrient. Pop the airlock off, give it a good stir from bottom of jug for 2 minutes, and try to ensure that the must temp is at least 70F--but first check your yeast temperature range to ensure that it will tolerate that safely, most will. Then recheck SG in 24-36 hours.

Worse case scenario rack the wine off any lees and pitch K1V-1116, or EC-1118. First choice is the K1V. You do not have to place in a primary/bucket if you choose to pitch new yeast, though it may be preferred so the must is easily stirred & has more headspace in case it is volatile ferment...then you can transfer back to jug if it appears that Mt. Vesuvius is not going to erupt.

Personally, I would just let it be because 1.010 is a nice SG for this wine to be consumed at, plus a month from now you may find that the gravity has in fact dropped. If not you can always bump up the ACV, if need be, with vodka, pure grain, etc.

Are you sure your OG was only 1.080? What yeast did you use initially?

Last edited:
I used Lalvin-1118

We foolishly left windows open and the heat off and the outside temp dropped to Freaking cold. However I was in primary at that point. I had a patch heater and wrapped in a blanket.

I wrapped the jug in a blanket and turned the heat on in my house.
I will add my aquirium heat patch when I get home if need be!

I wanted to to ferm to dry and then sweeten later!

5 days later I am still stuck with an SG of 1.010

I wrapped my jug in a blanket and put a heating patch on, but it did nothing. I stirred and got nothing. The temp warmed up and I took the patch off

Since I am going to end up sweetening I wanted to ferment to dry. SO right now I am kind of torn and on the fence about what to do next. I know a few options but I am I am afraid of sweetening ontop of an SG of 1.010.

I guess this is the fun of wine making, the decisions followed by tasting the outcome of your decisions.

I may take saramc's advice and leave as is at 1.010. and just age. I guess from here there would be less I would have to sweeten!

:dg

If you read the Skittles thread I think you will find there were mixed results on getting it to ferment dry. But you simply will not need to b/s as much whenever you get to that point a few months from now.

Thanks for the help Saramc.
I left the heat patch on it, put the jug in my basement, so between the heat patch and the cold basement the thermostate strip now says 70.
I am going to leave it down there until the weekend, rack off the lees and then bulk age for a while.

I am going to B/S 1st this way I can let the entire thing clear!

thanks for help.
This wine had better be worth the effort!

Back