WOW 1.080 to .99 in 4 days 5 to 6 gallons!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Fresh strawberry wine caught me off guard when in 4 days it went from. 1.080 to .99! Recipe says to remove bags of fruit at 1.005. Last night it was 1.020 and this morning it is .99. We will rack to secondary tonight. I had to use 2 pails - I am thinking about 5 to 6 gallons from 35 pounds of berries.

This was my first time, but my gallon of strawberry dropped very quickly as well. It was probably ready to hit the secondary at 3 days. I only cheesecloth covered and used Montrachet. I took a video of day 2 fermentation. I hadn't even stirred yet and it was sizzling. You can see if this dropbox link works. The one on the left is gooseberry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j10q0tt8jcmtq1k/2012-06-13 19.48.58.3gp

Last edited:
Rocky, it's a basement kitchen. It hasn't moved from 70°F. They've been kept in the cabinets. I hope everything will be okay. The gooseberry started over 1.100 and dropped to less than 1.020 before secondary - I'm afraid I'm making rocket fuel here.

Rocky, it's a basement kitchen. It hasn't moved from 70°F. They've been kept in the cabinets. I hope everything will be okay. The gooseberry started over 1.100 and dropped to less than 1.020 before secondary - I'm afraid I'm making rocket fuel here.

Probably really should start both at 1.085 SSG, but what the heck, you can backsweeten and backflavor with real juice - not boiled down or concentrate - and calm things quite a bit plus add flavor.

Did you use bananas in the strawberry? My strawberry took off too, and I always thought it was the naners that made it go.

I did simmer down about 7 bananas and peels and added that too once I strained it off. I have more strawberries in the freezer to back flavor. Will see about sweetening it up once it is done. Lots of lees went down the drain....and there is more in the secondaries.

I did simmer down about 7 bananas and peels and added that too once I strained it off. I have more strawberries in the freezer to back flavor. Will see about sweetening it up once it is done. Lots of lees went down the drain....and there is more in the secondaries.

ok, am I missing something? Why the peels?

ok, am I missing something? Why the peels?

I add peels, too. They help the body. I don't simmer, though. I just slice the naners into 2" chunks, peel and all, and put them in a bag. Either way works, simmering might even be better, but I am lazy.

on our strawberry that is in secondary right now we used 5 pounds of banana with the skins on ... simmered. have not done it with out but it worked great.

Latest posts

Back