Balance of Oak, Tannins & Acids

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
This is something we all strive for and folks, NW has achieved it almost perfectly in her Chokecherry wine. The bottle she sent me a while back has been awaiting the perfect occasion to give it a try and Easter dinner was the occasion.
For our appertif wine we opened a bottle of my Indian Blood Peach

IMG_3266.jpg

Then it was on to the main course

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

I will confess that I had some apprehension about the wine as NW only makes and drinks dry wines and they typically are not my forte as I lean heavily to the semi dry fruit wines. The exception to this for meis a good Shiraz. I must now add to that list Chokecherry..or at least NW's Chokecherry. I struggle to find the right words to describe a wine so I sound like I know what I am talking about and know a little something about wines but never one to pretend either I just have to say about this one..Dang...Thats good !! It was very fruity, had a very nice boquet and smooth, lasting finish. The balance of oak, tannins and acid excited those taste buds and made it a great pairing for our Easter meal of baked ham and steamed vegetables.

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3275-1.jpg

I have never had another wine that went so well with everything. I honestly believe this one could be served with anything. My daughtersaid, verbatim, "Dad, this wine is even good with your Apple Dumplings"
Thanks NW for sharing this one..You have definately got a winner here

Wow! What a spread. Great pictures, Waldo. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Congratulations NW!
smiley32.gif
You've got the Cat's Meow seal of approval.
smiley20.gif

Thanks for sharing Waldo. Indian Blood Peach and Chokeberry wines plus good food and family. Happy Easter!
smiley1.gif

Northern Winos said:
Glad you enjoyed it.....It is our favorite.

which reminds me....we should rack some wines.

I have not heard of Chokeberry. Any pictures what it look like and how it grows? Is it in the Blueberry family..

Sounds like my "cup of tea" so to speak. I know that a lot of how it turns out is due to the fruit used and the vintner, but any chance of the recipe, and specifics of test readings? My mom made choke cherry jelly and syrup for use in fruit punch, and I hope to some day find a source for choke cherries again. Hint: I live in the Dallas Texas area for any one that might be interested in a trade of any sort.

Tepe, here's a site with a few pics and a pretty good description:
http://www.wildfoods.info/wildfoods/chokecherry.html

It's a medium size tree and the fruit forms in clusters of little black "cherries" about 1/4-3/8" across. Most of the fruit is taken up by the pit. The ones from a tree I used to have tasted kind of like a cross between a sweet cherry and tart cherry but withless of a domestic cherry flavor.It was the first fruit wine I ever tried making the one year I beat the birds to the fruit.

Thanks. Dont have any here in NJ

So once picked you use a Steamer Juicer or alot of pectic enzyme? I would think the pit is very sour/tart how do you seperate the pit.

Steam juicer would be the best way.If I remember correctly, I think I just froze mine then thawed them and went at them carefully with a potato masher,a colander, and my handsto separate the skins/seeds from the juice/pulp -the old school way.The pits are tart, especially if broken, butsome recipes I've seenrecommend cracking some and putting themin the wine while it'sfermenting to add a bit of that tartness.

Waldo, you look a little sleepy there, my friend! Exactly how many bottles of peach did you open?
smiley36.gif

Back