Measurement question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardengrl

Junior
Reaction score
I have a silly question, or maybe I'm over thinking. Okay, if a wine recipe for a 1 gallon batch of wine states to use 5 pints of boiling water poured over the fruit & sugar initally, where does the remaining fluid come from to make 1 gallon?

For example, the strawberry recipe I'm using calls for 3 1/2 lbs of berries, 1/4 lb. of golden raisins, and 1/4 lb. of dates, but only calls for 5 pints of waterat initial fermentation. At racking into the 2ndary, it says to "top off to 1 gallon". Top off with what? More water? Will more liquid beextracted from thefruit to come close to a gallon?

So, if 8 pints = 1 gallon and it calls for 5 pints, where does the other 3 pints come from? From the fruit?

Thanks!

Hi gardengirl and welcome! I'm sure you will get many responses to your questions but with my limited knowledge and experience, Yes the remaining liquid comes from the fruit. If you need to add you will need very little water

The sugar that you will have to add will dispalce quite a bit of volume also.

Latest posts

Back