My Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTO

Reaction score
Hello all,

Question about my basement where I will be storing my wine.... Right now its 60 degrees.. So it will probably go up in the summer time. This is the only place that I can store my wine. I know WE says between 45-55. Is it going to make that big of a difference in the quality of the wine? Is there anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks

I would think just about everyone on this forum is in the same boat with you.

Sixto, I have made our back room into the wine room. This room has stayed so far around 62 degrees; it did hit 58 last week during a cold moment in our weather. 20 below wind chill. ( I don't know about this summer what it will bring in temperature either)! I'm hoping that I can keep the room dark, and door closed to keep a steady temperature in the 60's. But I'm thinking it will be closer to the 70's. Not much I can do! I even thought about one of those air-conditioners they have advertised in Pamida/Wally World that is portable with wheels, that looks like a humidifier for the wine room.

Since we all don't have the perfect room for our wines, they have told me on this forum to try and keep a steady temperature. Sudden or several changes in the temperatures isn't good.

For right now, I'vebeen hinting around about a dug- in cellar. This morning, my husband said something about building an extension onto the garage just for my wine!
smiley4.gif
I don't know if he wants me out of the house, or lately the wine's that I have been working on have suddenly overpowered the house with it's wonderful smell. Well, wonderful for me, not for him. He's the beer drinker, just hasn't gotten the taste of wine yet.

Good luck!

Sixto, We're pretty much all in the same boat, some worse. Some of us
dont have basements to store wine and have to store them in closets
where it is warmer but consistant. I myself have a basement which is
good for storing wine but I also have to make my wine down there so I'm
in the middle of heating 1/2 of it because its just too cold to make
wine down there during the winter.

Cool, thanks for all your replies... I am getting ready to make some beer too...
smiley36.gif

wade said:
Why doesn't he start making beer JS?

Wade, I've thought about purchasing a beer kit, and suggested that at one time to him but he didn't think he'd like the homemade beer. Years ago, one of his grandparents made homemade brew, and I think he may have gotten into the batch at one time and over indulged!
smiley11.gif
smiley36.gif

I've looked briefly at beer accessories, and it looks likeit might be difficult.
smiley5.gif
smiley23.gif
smiley24.gif
Maybe, I should look into it a little more, purchase one and make a batch for him. With that in mind, I bet that extended building of the garage would be put up fairly soon or that cellar!!
smiley36.gif

Making good beer isnt all that hard. Its obviously harder then a wine kit, but its not all that bad. It takes longer. Doing partial mashes takes me about 3 hours per batch.

Ive "heard its alot more time consuming in each shot but done alot
faster. My friend makes it every once in a great while though I have
never tried it since he has not done a batch since I started working
with him again. He's been sticking to wine lately. I will try to do
some this year.

My husband makes the beer and I make the wine. He has made several batches of wheat beer that have all been very good. I think the beer is easier to make than the wine, but the wine is a lot more fun watching all the stages and making nice labels for the bottles.

I was making beer before I got into wine the first of the year. Havent made any since, but would agree with BMW that it is easier to do. Upon checking I see im down to 2 cases, hmmm,maybe time to brew a little up. I did find with beer, once you get into it, its easier to achieve the flavor and body you want, store baughts just cant compare, hoping to find same results in time with wine.

js, maybe you could talk masta and stinkie into sending you a bottle or two of their good home brew to entice him.

Speaking of beer I need to start brewing a few batches soon to replenish supply and give it time to age for drinkin!

On tap...Honey Pale Ale and Maple Porter

I bought a Barons kit.. How long would you say I should age it before consumption??

Once you prime and bottle give a few weeks to carbonate and you are ready my friend to chill one down and have at it!

jsmahoney said:
Great Idea Waldo!
smiley4.gif
How about it stinkie and masta?!?! PRESSURES ON!
smiley36.gif

I could do that once the weather allows it to make it without freezing!!

Latest posts

Back