Wine Thief

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I don't have a wine thief yet. I plan on getting one soon. Until then, anything that you recommend for tasting the wine? I don't want to mess it up!

Thanks,
Christy

I don't have a wine thief either. I find that a turkey baster works well enough for me.

My highest recomendation is the type that is constructed of lucite and have a valve in the bottom.

In the mean time, you can use a small section of syphon hose or a racking tube the same way that you use a thief.

Ok, I hate to throw a wrench into things but I totally disagree on using the baster. Why? Because I couuld never get it to work for me when cooking a turkey without it squirting all over the place. Just my opinion.

I have three thiefs besides Julie, my wife and who ever esle sneaks in my basement. The first that I use the most is just a small glass one that I use the most. The second is a large plastic one which is good for large samples. The third one is a large plastic one large enough to hold a hydrometer to make for easy readings. This is the link to it.

I nor Jeannie are one of your theives, we always let you know what we are taking! And, so everyone knows Dan has every freakin toy imaginable for wine making, his basement is like a mad scientist's lab!!!!. I know everyone of you guys would be jealous of his basement.

Ok, with that said, Dan, lol, just because you don't know how to use a baster doesnt' make it a bad thing. Do not angle it, hold it straight up and down. I'll come up and show you and it will only cost you a couple of bottles of wine. :tz

Wow, just read what some of you have made or are making!!! I'm jealous. I can't wait to get to that point.

Wow, just read what some of you have made or are making!!! I'm jealous. I can't wait to get to that point.

LOL hang out with us and you'll get there. Julie, your so funny but yes I do love my toys. I did go with the less expensive ph meter for xmas though and now i'm kicking myself as the other one read milivolts but thats ok. And besides your always welcome to come over and play in my playbox.:i

Latest posts

Back