Timing on the press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHansen95693

Junior
Reaction score
We harvested and crushed about 1,000 lbs of tempranillo grapes last Sunday. The hydrometer says I'm just a little above the 1.000 mark so it's my understanding it's time to press but my schedule won't allow me to get to it for another week. Is this going to effect the wine adversely? I'm also assuming more time on the skins will lead to a more tannin taste?

As long as fermentation is still active , you have a nice blanket of CO2, and you do your punchdowns, you are OK. At SG of 1, with the alcohol, the reading is off, you likely still have sugar and an active fermentation.

Extended maceration is the term for letting the juice stay on the skins longer after fermentation is complete. It can pick up more tannins, and also make a bigger wine. Depends on the fruit of course. Not inappropriate for Tempranillo.

Now, if you don't have a nice blanket of CO2 and fermentation still going, you either need to press, chill it way down, or get ahold of a CO2 or Argon bottle and keep a blanket of gas on it. Otherwise, you risk undesirable things starting to work on it.

If the cap has fallen and is no longer firm you really need to press as there is no longer enough CO2 to keep it afloat.

Back