FlexTank instead of oak barrel...really interesting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my understanding, a flex (plastic) tank does not replace a barrel, but is an essential equipment in the initial stage of winemaking.

Most likely, I do not see the proper benefit from having the processes of an oak barrel transported to an artificial environment. But everything can change with time. So I'm talking about my opinion on the use of plastic tanks at the moment.

We can compare the process of micro oxidation from flex tanks to barrels. But that is only part of the equation. I do not believe you can achieve in today's technology the duplication of a good oak barrel with cubes or sticks..... I use both all the time.... They are different.

"Talk about an reviving an old thread!" - @ibglowin

I know...lol. I did my own experiment last year with favorable results. I just bought four more (had one) Dexter 50 maturation tanks... They have a small thumb print for the volume and the resulting wine is different from my barrels but I wouldn't go so far as to say better.

Last edited:
"Talk about an reviving an old thread!" - @ibglowin

I know...lol. I did my own experiment last year with favorable results. I just bought four more (had one) Dexter 50 maturation tanks... They have a small thumb print for the volume and the resulting wine is different from my barrels but I wouldn't go so far as to say better.
Curious to hear more about your results!

Cheers ✌

Latest posts

Back