Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Anyone made wine from Hero brand "Nectars"?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Hoxviii

Mar 2017
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Update on this stuff - good flavor, but WAY heavy on the solids. 1 gallon is going to yield about 3 quarts after two settling periods, and I'm still racking off of heavy solids. Thinking i'll be clearing in a few days, but there's a bunch of solids still in the bottom.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
barryjo

Nov 2009
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii View Post
Update on this stuff - good flavor, but WAY heavy on the solids. 1 gallon is going to yield about 3 quarts after two settling periods, and I'm still racking off of heavy solids. Thinking i'll be clearing in a few days, but there's a bunch of solids still in the bottom.
Are you in a big hurry for this? If not, I would wait till fermentation ceased, sorbate it and cold store it for a while. Should settle out much better.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 441 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 457

"Are you in a big hurry for this? If not, I would wait till fermentation ceased, sorbate it and cold store it for a while. Should settle out much better."

Why do you suggest sorbating a wine that's being cold stored and has ceased fermentation. Did you mean K-Meta and cold store? Sorbate is only needed if there is residual sugar or it's been backsweetened. If it ferments dry all that's needed is Potassium Metabisulfate (K-Meta)

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #14
Hoxviii

Mar 2017
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjo View Post
Are you in a big hurry for this? If not, I would wait till fermentation ceased, sorbate it and cold store it for a while. Should settle out much better.
for the amount of solids coming out, I'm racking to stay ahead of it.

First rack was in to secondary, second rack was when the solids filled over 1/2 the container. I took the clear liquid, plus the less dense wine off the top of the soilds - what was left was goop.

Now I have a bit more than 3 quarts, but the solids are piling up again. this one I'm just letting run until it clears out.

So no, not in a hurry - just dealing with a LOT of solids.