Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Making from Grapes > Petite pearl

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1142 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 178

That might be a good idea for you. The Petite Pearl has more tannins in it than the Marquette does. From the PP wine I have made before it had sort of blueberry notes to it. That was a very small trial batch and I haven't gotten enough to make it since. It may be time to try again for me soon.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

semenn Likes This 
Old 03-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4650 Times on 2505 Posts
Likes Given: 1886

I would definitely plant a mix. Marquette, Noiret and the slow growing oak grape vine if you really, really want it.... LOL

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
WI_Wino

Mar 2013
Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Theres a new vineyard just down the road from me that planted petite pearl last year. They had great first year growth and are planning on cropping this fall. Growth was two canes up to a high cordon at 5' then lateral growth of another 5' in either direction.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #14
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1142 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Wino View Post
Theres a new vineyard just down the road from me that planted petite pearl last year. They had great first year growth and are planning on cropping this fall. Growth was two canes up to a high cordon at 5' then lateral growth of another 5' in either direction.
That is impressive! Keep us filled in on what grows this year and if they are able to get some grapes. Often times when growth is that vigorous the canes don't harden properly and it dies back a lot. If it does indeed survive and crop that is very impressive indeed.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
WI_Wino

Mar 2013
Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I thought so as well. My neighbor and I met with the couple that owns the vineyard a couple weekends ago. We picked their brains on what has worked for them, suppliers, etc. as we are each putting vines in this spring. We walked the vineyard and the vines we were touching/bending/ etc. seemed healthy They got their vines from Northeastern Vine Supply and were very happy with the bareroot vines. They said some of the root systems were > 2' long. They did some basic soil amendment when prepping the site but nothing too crazy, basically added some nitrogen to the soil.

They is definitely a business first venture for them, neither has ever made wine before. They have a consultant that is guiding them through everything so it'll be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #16
TonyR

Sep 2014
Liked 148 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I racked my Petite Pearl wine this morning 12 gal from my picking last Sep 2016. 6 year old vines. Added kmeta, Had cold stabilized for 1 month in my shed. Ph 3.76. Ta. 6.8. Tested malic acid with the strips read 30. VERY fruity/ floral aroma and fruity after taste, think I am happy with it.

semenn Likes This