replacing lost space when racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afewcats

Junior
Reaction score
I have 2- 5 gallon carboys in the second fermentation. They will need to be racked within a few weeks and I was wondering what to use to fill the space after racking. I have at least an inch of sediment now, and I remember last year(my first) that I used sugar water in one, and plain water in the other and both seemed to work out but the one with sugar water might have been a little stronger because my wife calls it muscadine moonshine...

I have one batch with dark muscadines, one batch with a mix of dark and white that is looking nice.

What do you guys recommend to use to fill the carboy back up to the neck?
I plan to keep them in the corboy at least 6 months...

You could use a bottle of last years muscadine to top up with and that would be idea. If you are too low or out of it the next best thing would be to get a cheap wine close in flavor and top up with that.

Could you make a F-Pack and top off with it as well?

I was planning on trying to buy 5 lbs of muscadines to make a F-Pack then add sugar to add flavor and back sweeting the wine.

Choose one of the solutions other than just plain water. Water will thin the wine out some.

I have 2- 5 gallon carboys in the second fermentation. They will need to be racked within a few weeks and I was wondering what to use to fill the space after racking. I have at least an inch of sediment now, and I remember last year(my first) that I used sugar water in one, and plain water in the other and both seemed to work out but the one with sugar water might have been a little stronger because my wife calls it muscadine moonshine...

I have one batch with dark muscadines, one batch with a mix of dark and white that is looking nice.

What do you guys recommend to use to fill the carboy back up to the neck?
I plan to keep them in the corboy at least 6 months...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER should you top off with water. Get a bottle of simular wine and top off with that. Adding water will cut the flavor and, most damagingly, cut the acid level of your wine. (Did I say NEVER?!!!)

Another thing you can do is go to a smaller carboy, then a gal. jug and whatever you need for the leftover. Or you can do the clean, sanatized marble trick. Fill up with them. Takes quite a few marbles, tho. Good luck with it. Arne.

??? may I as a question ???
Noticed no one mentioned the use of
Glass marbles For topping off a carboy.
wouldent that save the integrety of the wine being made?

edit: arne got that one
is kind of me preferance i mean with just an inch of sediment

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back