juice came, leaking - what to do

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have great luck having stuff shipped in - and George packed this thing perfect - peanuts, etc, etc.

My Old Vines juice came in with an apparent hole in it. The Renaissance box is damp - the peanuts and the outer shipping box is not wet.

Can I use this? Is it contaminated? If it is fine, I am ok using it - but I need your experience to guide me.

Brad Simmons

I would wipe the outside of the bag with a clean cloth then start the kit. I think that it will be OK. However, I would also contact George and tell him what happened.

This happens on occasion. The bag is a 2-ply poly and sometimes the juice will get between the layers, then leak out. Check the bag for any holes and the juice for any mold. If you can't find a hole and the juice looks fine, start the kit; otherwise, give mea call tomorrow and I will send a replacement.

If it looks good and you decide to start the kit, please save the date code. If does not turn out good, we can still get a replacement later. As a aside, we occasionally receivea leaker from the distributor. If it is has not leaked too much, I put them on sale in the store; otherwise, we make them. Now you know where some of the kits come from that are in our online database.

Great guys - I will go ahead and go forth. We'll see what happens - why couldn't it have been a silly little 60 dollar White Zin kit or something like that. I won't know if it is good for months! :)

Thanks for all your help!!! Brad

Of all the many kits we've gotten through the mail only one came leaking -- the outside of the box was damp. It was a Cellar Craft kit from a different retailer. They did replace the kit.

I did ferment the leaking kit and it did NOT turn out. The kit did sit on my front porch for several hours in south Texas heat so some of the "bugs" probably infiltrated the main juice bag. Since you're wasn't in too bad a shape go ahead and ferment it. Be sure to have a designated "volunteer" to taste the wine before mass consumption.

Wayne

if it is bad, will it ferment? When will I know?

I made it yesterday - it tasted fine (gotta sneak a tiny bit of juice out in a glass). I have confidence it will be fine. (I am a positive, wishful thinking kind of guy).

It is cold here, so I don't think any buggies are out and about now - heck, not even on the microscopic kind. :)

FedEx Ground is brutal - FedEx Express is great, but Ground or UPS can really give it a beating.

FVW packed it very well - but still, 4 or 4.5 gals of juice is a heavy lump.

I'll let you know how I do - Brad

We have made over 50 leaking kits. If there is not visible sign of mold and if it tastes good, it should be fine. You will know if you see bacteria on top or if it smells or taste off.

In our experience, FedEx Ground has been exceptional. We have a problem with about 1 in a 1,000 boxes, which considering the weight of these boxes, is quite remarkable.

Latest posts

Back