Hanna ph Tester

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixdoubleo

Reaction score
I was looking at getting the Hanna ph Tester here:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=HI98103

The price seems very good compared to test strips...can somebody tell me how often the electrode needs to be replaced? How does the accuracy of this compare to other testers or methods?

Also what is the difference between the HI98103 and the HI98103A?

Basically I'm just wanting something to do basic ph and TA tests.

Thanks for any info!

Just taking an educated guess here but it looks like no difference between the 2 units other than one comes with buffer solution and one doesn't. These don't say that they are waterproof so thats a down side if you accidentally drop it in and dunk it. On the upside, its cheap for sure and it still has 2 place decimal reading which is pretty important.

I have had one similar for almost 3 years and have not needed to change the electrode. As long as you are not dipping it in horribly corrosive goop your electrode should give you years and years of trouble free service as long as you don't drop it and break it and always rinse it well after use and put it away.

Also don't forget to replace the batteries as recommended!
smiley36.gif

Perhaps someone else will chime in with some real world experience with this particular unit or just give old George a call and he will know for sure.

Im not familiar with that tester as I bought the more expensive PHEP. As far as the difference goes you will want the more expensive one as its the same unit but comes with 4 packets each of the calibrating solutions and the cleaner to clean the probe before putting it away in the storing solution. You may want to buy a few extra of the 4.01 solution or the Storing solution. The reason I say 4.01 is because you cab use that as a storing solution also. You will need those solutions in order to use your unit, If checking TA with a PH meter you will also need Sodium Hydroxide.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=HI70456

Thanks guys...that helps. I went ahead and got the "A" model as well as the Sodium Hydroxide.

Also when doing the TA test, what other equipment do you need? I imagine you need something to measure the Sodium Hydroxide, right? Would this be a dropper that measures ml/cc, or larger unit like a graduated cylinder?

You can use a syringe that measures in ml or a burette to make it easier to drip small amounts when you get close. A beaker is also handy to use, but you can use a plastic cup also in a pinch .

OK, perfect...I have a couple syringes that measure in ml and just ordered starter set of beakers.

Like appleman said. As he also said when you get near the 8.2 go lightly with adding sodium hydrox as it starts to change really quick at that point! The fisrt time I used it I over shot really bad on the test and had to start again which is actually fun anyway. I also used the color indicator solution as I had it from my acid test kit and man you can really see the difference in accuracy with the meter.

Back