Chilean Malbec vs. Chilean Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried chilean grape juice before, and don't even know how the Malbac tastes like.

I want to pick some juice pails tomorrow and those 2 are the only options available.

Comments?

geek said:
Never tried chilean grape juice before, and don't even know how the Malbac tastes like.

I want to pick some juice pails tomorrow and those 2 are the only options available.

Comments?

Just like any grape region, they all have different tastes due to soil and climate. Get both!

If I could only choose one, go for the Malbec. It's a unique grape that excels in S America. Thats one of the varietals that do best there. What is your source for the juice? I picked up my chilean juices a month ago and they have just finished secondary ferm. I guess as long as the buckets stay cold, they're ok.

Varis, I agree with Gr8zins and if you are only buying one, I would go for the Malbec. The juices that your HBS has have been around for a few weeks. If they have been kept refrigerated and have not started fermenting, they should be okay. Don't be too surprised if you get a low initial SG. That would indicate that fermentation has begun.

Another vote for the Malbec although I don't think you would be disappointed in either.

I bought a pail of Malbec and another of Cabernet Sav.
These juices really have distinct flavors.!! The Malbec juice tastes a bit to malt or I don't know but I liked it.

Added yeast energizer (around 2tsp) and yeast nutrient (around 4tsp) on each pail.

SG won't be accurate since it was pre-inoculated but measured at ~1.085 on each.

Added some american medium toast oak chips that I bought.

Latest posts

Back