WE International Chilean Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reilly

Reaction score
I just purchased the above kit. I'm a newbie and it's my first attempt at a red and want to make sure this turns out right. It comes with EC-1118 yeast along with 30 g packs of toasted and french oak but not real crazy about the shavings. Thought about getting cubes to add to the secondary for more flavor.

Any suggestions about this kit ??

Keith

Don't know about the kit, but there is more surface area exposed to the wine with shavings than with cubes, and so by substituting a like quantity of cubes you are reducing the surface area and thus the amount of oak transfer in the allotted time.

If you are an experimental type, you will fiddle with the cube quantity and maybe time to compensate and roll the dice. If you are the "oh my God, I don't want to ruin this and waste my money" type, you will use the shavings.

So what's your risk tolerance and how often do you go to Vegas? :)

The shaving are not there just to add oak flavor. They do other nice things during fermentation, like absorb proteins and other nasties. Cubes added during secondary won't necessarily accomplish the same things.

I would not skip them.

Latest posts

Back