Can’t wait to be home, 90 bottles to fill

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I have been at sea for 1 Month, and when I come back in 4 days, I will be busy filling up wine bottles.
smiley4.gif
Can't wait.

Here the wine:

Merlot

Cabernet Sauvignon

Australian Riverland Reserve

Casper,

Let me know how your ARR turns out. I have a carboy about ready to bottle!!!

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
Casper,

Ramona

Yes I will, now I need to keep buying that series, because after 10 I get a free one. I know I'm scheap.
smiley36.gif

Casper,

I know how you feel. I've been on this rig for 4 weeks now....I get home on Monday. I've got two batches I have to take care of on Tuesday.....gotta take care of the wife first. :) Then I can start three new batches.

USAFCajun

rgecaprock said:
Casper,

Ramona

Well Ramona I just taste the ARR today, it is been in the carboy for 1 Month. It is an OK kit, butI will not buy that kitagain. But you may like it, we all have different taste.

I tasted mine yesterday and it's been in the carboy for about a month too. I think after I sweeten it up a little it's going to be ok...Ramona

I have a White Zin. waiting to be bottled as soon as I get off this rig and a Pear that needs to be racked.
smiley20.gif

rgecaprock & Casper

I did a Aussie River a while ago...had some clearing problems and a off smell....I think it was not enough stirring to get out the CO2...gave it somemore time in the carboy...than I sweeten and bottled....It turn out great and disappeared real fast....have another kit going

Bert,

I had clearing problems too with that one but all seems well now after a second degassing and racking. Will try to bottle this weekend.

Ramona

Bert,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I never sweeten a Wine kit before, except when the sweetener come with it. What did you use to sweet the ARR and how much did you add.

I did not have clearing problems andmine smell a bit too.

Casper

I rack to another carboy and take out a gallon...add 1/2 tsp per gallon potassium sorbate and 1 tablet per gallon potassium metabisulfite...than I add simple syurp to the gallon to get the sweetness I'm looking for, checking by taste....I usually add 3 TBS at a time and than taste....I find that stopping on the shy side is better as when the wine ages a bit the sweetness seems to come out a little more....when you find your number of tablespoons you add it to the rest of the wine....if you go past with how much you want to sweeten, just add the extra TBS to what you will add to the rest of the wine.....sometimes it is nice to go past just to see what it will taste like....than I add the gallon back to the carboy...give it a good stir and you can bottle....OH ..stir between adding and tasting...doesn't need a lot of stirring the simple syurp seems to mix easily.....Hope this makes sense...

Casper

I guess I didn't explain what simple syurp is.....I put 1 cup water and 2 cups sugar togather...heat to a boil....stirring slowly....than let this cool....you can make extra and put the leftover in a bottle and store in the refrigerater for later use...works nice for tweaking up the SG of a kit or adding to fruit wine to get the SG were you want it..

Thank Bert,

I will try that, sound easy too.
smiley1.gif
Let you know how it turn out

I sweeted my ARR at SG 1.003 (Final SG was .998) turned out very good. My wife like it too.
smiley1.gif

Thanks

Happy to be of help.....I think you will find that this is a very nice social wine.....it sure disappeared off my wine shelf...had to make more...happy wine making

Next time you make your simple syrup, Bert, take a clean cloth and fill with a handful of fresh mint leaves, crushand steep in a quarter cup of your favorite Kentucky bourbon for 5-10 minutes -- pour the mint/liquor mixture into the simple syrup (while it is cooling) atablespoon or twoat a time to taste -- you do NOT want to get toa bitter taste. Then you can use this simple mint syrup on the first Saturday in May when you are making Mint Juleps for the PWP and watching the Kentucky Derby!

(I first figured this posting wasn't appropriate for a "wine site", but knowing this crowd within a few weeks someone will have a "mint julep wine" going -- unless Jack Keller already has a recipe for it!)
smiley2.gif

That sounds pretty easy and should be very nice to mix a drink with....how about over ice cream.....As far as PWP enjoying it that first weekend in May....she plans be visiting with George that weekend...

Latest posts

Back