DRIED FRUIT AT SAM'S

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Today we needed a road trip, so ended up at Sam's Club.....

I was looking for Sunkist Raisins for breakfast cereal, they were out of them...I ended up getting some dried Red Flame Grapes....guess they are a table grape...they sure are nice.

I wandered around looking at all their dried fruit....sure is a nice selection...was admiring the large bags of 'Crasins', dried cranberries...I see that many members have Cranberry wine as a staple at this time of the year...

Has anyone made wine with the dried Crasins??

Also saw they had fresh Cranberries in 4# bags...but my air-head forgot how much they were...didn't seem like it was much...

Cranberry wine sounds so good....I have planted High Bush Cranberries, but they don't seem to be the same...and they smell like dirty feet....so will leave them for the birds as they were intended for wildlife....

I never made wine out of Craisins but have a recipe that I got off
anpther forum for craisins if anybody wants it. Just let me know.

I made fresh cranberry wine last Nov just after Thanksgiving. Sams had the big bags of Oceanspray fresh cranberries on sale and I made a gallon. I wish I had made 6! I enjoyed a bottle about two weeks ago and drank it by myself. Whew! At 13.5%, that was more than I needed! I sweetened it to semi-sweet and it was delicious!

pk, I did the same thing, but have not tried any yet. I'm waiting for turkey day to crack a bottle. Mineis only 12% I'm also heading up to Sams on Wed, so I will look at the dried fruit selection. Wade If I find a deal on crasins, I'll be asking for the recipe...Edited by: kutya

kutya,

Did you add raisins to your cranberry? I think if I ever make another batch, I'll order some cranberry concentrate and maybe some red grape concentrate in lieu of raisins.

Hi NW -

I had a go at this last year. Here is what happened:

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1092

It didn't turn out that great for me. People still like it. They say it's sweet, and it is. Good body, but it lacks pucker. Koolaid - like.

Mine never dried out completely. I used Kellers recipe by the book.

I might make another run at it. Who knows. The two bigger mistakes I see in what happened are testing for acid up front and getting it to dry out completely.

Good luck! Hope the thread helps.

John

pk I used concentrate. I can't wait to try it. Hope I'm not disapointed...

As I was preparing breakfast with my huge dried Red Flame grapes I noticed that they contain vegetable oil...the dried apricots contain sulfur dioxide to preserve the color...the regular raisins have no additives.....

Guess we got to be careful if we purchase any of these dried fruits if we plan to make wine with them.....

After Waldo showed us his problem with oil in the primary we can all take notes about using store bought dried fruits in our wines....we all live to learn and come here to this Forum to get some answers...

pkcook said:
I made fresh cranberry wine last Nov just after Thanksgiving. Sams had the big bags of Oceanspray fresh cranberries on sale and I made a gallon. I wish I had made 6! I enjoyed a bottle about two weeks ago and drank it by myself. Whew! At 13.5%, that was more than I needed! I sweetened it to semi-sweet and it was delicious!

If you could share the recipie...
smiley4.gif

Here is the recipe I used for a gallon batch:

<DIV align=center>
<TABLE =MsonormalTable style=": white; WIDTH: 68.62%; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt" cellPadding=0 width="68%" border=1>
<T>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 30.14%; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; : transparent" vAlign=top width="30%">
3 bags<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 68.38%; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; : transparent" width="68%">
12 oz bag Oceanspray Cranberries</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 30.14%; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; : transparent" vAlign=top width="30%">
1 Box</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 68.38%; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; : transparent" width="68%">
15 oz Raisins</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2">
3# + 1/2 cup</TD>
Sugar</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3">
1 Ea</TD>
Crushed Campden Tablet</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4">
1/2 tsp</TD>
Pectic Enzyme</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5">
1 tsp</TD>
Yeast Nutrient</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 6">
1 1/4 tsp</TD>
Acid Blend</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 7">

4 Liters</TD>
Water</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 8; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
1 pkg</TD>
Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Chop the cranberries coarsely making sure you break every berry. Bag them with the raisins(I used dark ones, but I'd use light for the next batch, or red grape concentrate) and put them in the primary with thewater, sugar, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, acid blend and the crushed campden tab. Stir well and let sit overnight. Add yeast after 24 hours ( I made a starter the same time I made the must).

I started with a 1.100 SG, but if I do another batch, I'd hold at 1.085-90. Stir daily until SG reaches 1.030 or 5 days which ever comes first. Squeeze every last drop you can get from the bag and transfer to secondary. Ferment to dry and add 1/8 tsp K-meta and 1/2 tsp sorbate and sweeten to taste. Let sit for an additional 2 weeks to ensure fermentation does not restart and bottle. I ended up sweetening back with 1 cup of sugar.

I am planning to make this wine from Jack Kellers recipe. Is 1 lb of crasins per gallon enough? I know Jacks recipes are little weak in the early days. Any feedback is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back