First Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mschooley53

Reaction score
So I started my first Skeeter Pee and first wine for that matter. I added my yeast about 12 hours ago and have been periodically checking it and it I have a foam cap on top and it's starting to bubble. I would like to check the SG in about 12 more hours.

Can I stir my primary and then take a reading or should I leave the foam cap intact and draw some?

Will it hurt introducing oxygen this early or will this slow down the fermentation?

You need to stir, especially for skeeter pee. Actually, I thought that was in the instructions. Stir a couple times a day, introducing oxygen at this point is needed for the yeast to work, once your SG is below 1.010, either snap the lid down and add an airlock or rack to a carboy and add an airlock.

You need to stir, especially for skeeter pee. Actually, I thought that was in the instructions. Stir a couple times a day, introducing oxygen at this point is needed for the yeast to work, once your SG is below 1.010, either snap the lid down and add an airlock or rack to a carboy and add an airlock.

Thanks Julie. I know in the instructions it says to stir if fermenting slows but with my batch just starting fermentation I wasn't sure if this would be an issue. Looks like I will be stirring!

Congrats on the first batch! Skeeter pee isn't rich in nutrients (besides what is added) for the yeast and I found needs the oxygen for a good fermentation. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back