type of honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy sheep ****, to hell with him please send that blackberry cobbler to me
that is my upmost addiction,
I give my word today I told dad to work on mom because I really want some blackberry cobbler,, dant it ya'lls killing me.
Dawg::

Oh he is spoiled rotten! ROTTEN! He is trying to talk me into making him a blackberry cobbler tonight.

Well, he got his blackberry cobbler.

The poor thing had to eat it with store bought ice cream instead of homemade.

ok like I said I ordered 30lbs of wildflower honey 20 of that will go into a 6 gallon carboy after ferment I'll also be using 1 once of Stella hops from Australia since that hop gives a mild wild flower taste I hope they will complement each other, I'll be using 20lb instead of 18lbs. that leaves me 10lbs of wildflower honey, now just by accident I happen to have one more 6 gallon carboy, sooo I plan on using ten pounds honey but i'm trying to figure out what type fruit or berry to add to in, I'm learning toward either blackberry or elderberry, both of which should start coming off in a few weeks, but if anyone has made a honey an fruit/berry blend that was good I'm open to suggestions, now by blends I do all my blends together from day one in the fermenter, I find that fermenting them together from the very start they taste much better to me then fermenting them separate then blending, so any thoughts greatly appreciated

I'm learning toward either blackberry or elderberry,

Use both.

I made one using a 50/50 blend of blackberry and elderberry and it is hands down my favorite mead so far.

well young lady,
I'll do just that I was leaning are on each, but both that sounds great to me, I got a 6 gal carboy of straight both of them, but knock on wood it looks like I might get a bumper crop of both, so when they come off i'll freeze them for a day or two, thaw and add all three into a ferment barrel, Ill go with 3 pound per gallon which will be 18 blackberry and 18 pound elderberry and ten pound of wild flower honey, that'll work,, beings them 2 berries are my favorite berry wines, thank you for your input, I now have my mind made up,

Use both.

I made one using a 50/50 blend of blackberry and elderberry and it is hands down my favorite mead so far.

well young lady,
I'll do just that I was leaning are on each, but both that sounds great to me, I got a 6 gal carboy of straight both of them, but knock on wood it looks like I might get a bumper crop of both, so when they come off i'll freeze them for a day or two, thaw and add all three into a ferment barrel, Ill go with 3 pound per gallon which will be 18 blackberry and 18 pound elderberry and ten pound of wild flower honey, that'll work,, beings them 2 berries are my favorite berry wines, thank you for your input, I now have my mind made up,

This sounds like it would be awesome. I think I will start looking into making this one too,

if you make some let me know how it go4es and if your interested i'll let you know how mine goes, ole jerigurl is pretty slick I thought on trying a backberry an honey, an I'd thought about a elderberry mead, but I had not thought about all of them together, I might of just found me a new weakness

This sounds like it would be awesome. I think I will start looking into making this one too,

Hey now, I can't take all the credit! Blame @wvmountaineerjack

I followed his blog very closely when I was working up my own recipe for that mead. I don't have access to that many blackberries without absolutely going broke, and I have access to exactly zero fresh elderberries, so I improvised. I'm sure yours will be much better with so much fresh fruit added to it.

Here is his blog: http://wvmjack.com/Elderberries/WineRecipies.html

He has a TON of valuable information and is great about answering any questions you might have.

Here is what I did: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48365&highlight=elderberry

I might of just found me a new weakness

Good luck with that!
I'm trying to work out a deal with a lady at the local Farmer's Market for some blackberries. They lost about 90% of their crop to all the hail we had this year. I'd like to get a large amount of blackberries to just put in the freezer. I'll be making another batch here in the fall.

Between this, the strawberry, and the winter mead we have made, our friends are starting to sniff when they come over and we give them wine instead of mead. Everyone wants the mead!
I think I'm going to start making all mead and only start a wine batch every once in awhile.

I think I'm going to start making all mead and only start a wine batch every once in awhile.[/QUOTE] @Jericurl hope this works, don't know why it didn't make it a quote.

LOL, looks like you are going to have to go into beekeeping. It is another addicting hobby, at least if you take a look at my bro. in law. He started out with a couple of hives to try and get his grandson involved with it. He is up to a bunch of them now and started a LLC as he is going to bottle and sell it. Hope he still has enough left over for me to get a couple of gallon. Anyway, beekeeping you can recoup some of your expenses. Home winemaking, not so much. Good luck with all the meads, Arne.

I think I'm going to start making all mead and only start a wine batch every once in awhile. @Jericurl hope this works, don't know why it didn't make it a quote.

You have the command telling the program to end the quote, but not the command telling it to begin.
You need
then type in whatever you are wanting to appear in the quote, then type the same prompt except adding the / at the beginning. That tells it to stop here. Hope that makes sense.

And yes, my grandfather kept bees and I've wanted to for years. We plan on buying a house next summer. The next spring after that I will have bees!!

Last edited:
I do not take it for granted that I have many types of stuff on my land, and neighbors that sell out for farm fresh eggs, lol,, I looked today at my elderberries, be a while before their ready, I have one huge bush, 3 moderate bushes and 2 small bushes that are loaded, and another 4 or 5 that should start to bare next year, as for black berries if noting goes wrong I should get close to 100lbs this year a few are red most still green, but soon,, my pear tree looks like I might get 30 or 40 lbs, I guess the tree is nearing it's end, 5 or 6 years ago I got tons of pairs, I use a 18 foot extension ladder then standing on the very top rung I got a telescoping paint pole with a fruit basket on it it'12 foot i'm 6-1 and I have to leave the top 15 to 20 feet to free fall which if at night then the deer beats me to that, last few years it's started slowing down, but across the road on 17 an 1/2 acres I got 14 pear trees that produce I usually leave for the wild life, but this year they going to have to share, then the 22 an 1/2 acres that's dads blackberries every where, peaches on very nice tree looking close to loaded in the next few dats I'll take a paint pole an knock about 1/2 off it, makes the tree live longer , got 3 more peach trees about 4 foot tall I saw on maybe 10 or 12 peaches combined but they are young, i'm hoping to fill a 6 an 1/2 carboy wine pure peach juice,, I hope an pray knock on wood, i'm blessed an know it, I see on post here people talking about places to buy fruit and berries, that's sad cause they want a arm an a leg for that stuff, oh and I got no possum grapes this year but my muscadines are looking loaded, if I can out do the birds an squirrels I hope to get a few mull berries too , as ARNE said about honey,, i'm giving serous thought to starting 2 Italian nooks, I've never be allergic to waspers but after getting sick I now must carry Benadryl,, i'm thinking about letting a bee sting me and see if they mess with me, the last 3 days I've been crawling in to deep bunches of poison ivy and poison oak, no shirt an shorts cutting the vine where they come outta the ground, I've never been bothered by poison oak or ivy,, i'm lucky on that.. knock on wood,, but if I end up making meads as well I'll have to raise my own honey , that stuff you'd think was Gold,,, I really do feel sorry for all that must buy their fruits an berries... shoot once I get my carboys built up I'll be set, I only have 12 so far, I got enough open top barrels food grade from14 gallon to 40 gallon.
but I half to buy my strawberries an cherries for now any way I got cherry trees growing but after 3 years in a row all my strawberry plants have died
I do have a few wild straw berries but so little that when I see em I stand their eating till all are gone,, gawd I hope my anti-fungus gets here soon my 2biggest Stewarts yellow crab apple bushes have cedar rust fungus . my other 3 are still looking clear, but they are much younger so my crab apples will be very limited, I like using crab apples instead of acid blend,,i like it, you could ask JohnT, about my apple/pear/crab apple blend wine, I had him test some for me last year, like I've said in other posts I blend any blends I do from day one in the ferment barrels, I like my results, I know I can never repay all the people on here that has helped me and I still need help. I at one time was on statin medicines till I could not remember last week, so I quit them better then a year ago, my memory is still not up to par, but way better then when they had me on statins, any one that takes medicine from doctors need to go home an research before taking anything, and all my doctors know I blow up if giving a medicine that aint been out at least 8 years, I used to love they lawyer adds if you or a loved one has been damaged or died call Sokolove, lol ,,, they finally left out if you have died, dumb asses,,,, how you going to call if you have died,,, but you see almost every day of some new medicine that hurts or kills you far worse then whatever you have, and arthritis meds are pure poison, and yep I got that as well but I don't take meds for my osteoid arthritis yard word brush cutting keeping active keeps that at bay except god bless them that has rumeoid arthritis,, that's a screwed if you do and screwed if you don't,,,,
well I guess by now every body knows I have been sampling wines,, lol,, sorry

Good luck with that!
I'm trying to work out a deal with a lady at the local Farmer's Market for some blackberries. They lost about 90% of their crop to all the hail we had this year. I'd like to get a large amount of blackberries to just put in the freezer. I'll be making another batch here in the fall.

Between this, the strawberry, and the winter mead we have made, our friends are starting to sniff when they come over and we give them wine instead of mead. Everyone wants the mead!
I think I'm going to start making all mead and only start a wine batch every once in awhile.

there's no way I'll give up my elderberry wines nor blackberry either, but I might start keeping both wines and meads in my magic closet that has nothing in it, lol,,,:db PS forget about that closet, your getting very, very sleepy,,,,
as for you ARNE I take your opinion as the gold standered,,, theirs 7 or 8, well ok I follow 15 of yall' that moves me lights year beyond what i'm capable of by myself. I treasure all ya'll very much, I know I've been told many times I don't have to thank people, but I was raised deep country hillbilly southerner,, so yes I do have to tell all ya'll how much I value ya'lls knowledge shucks I been bopped on back of my head many times as a child for not being polite,, hehe,,,

@Jericurl hope this works, don't know why it didn't make it a quote.

LOL, looks like you are going to have to go into beekeeping. It is another addicting hobby, at least if you take a look at my bro. in law. He started out with a couple of hives to try and get his grandson involved with it. He is up to a bunch of them now and started a LLC as he is going to bottle and sell it. Hope he still has enough left over for me to get a couple of gallon. Anyway, beekeeping you can recoup some of your expenses. Home winemaking, not so much. Good luck with all the meads, Arne.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
You have the command telling the program to end the quote, but not the command telling it to begin.
You need
then type in whatever you are wanting to appear in the quote, then type the same prompt except adding the / at the beginning. That tells it to stop here. Hope that makes sense.

And yes, my grandfather kept bees and I've wanted to for years. We plan on buying a house next summer. The next spring after that I will have bees!!

Think I just deleted a bit much of the origional post. Didn't know how to fix it afterwards.
And good for you on buying a house. Make sure you get enough land to hold the bees and all the fruits you want to make wine with. Gonna be a big loan. LOL, Arne.

ok after several set backs (new-moan-ya) in right lung an tick fever just to name a couple, I got my organic wild flower honey in today, I got 1 ounce of Stella hops a couple weeks ago, I plan on using 1/2 ounce of Stella hops they claim it has a wild flower taste, and around 4lbs to the gallon wild flower honey, be warned I plan on asking many questions over the next few weeks so now's the time to block me,,, lol ,,, but first I got 10 gallon of apple wine to bottle, no strong alcohol taste but 1 18ounce glass and your asking where'd that wabbit go,,, I am very happy with it, 18ABV but you only taste apple and clover honey,, dang I love you folks, I have when I was working paid as high as $1500 for 1 bottle took one sip and poured it down the drain, but I love what you super people have taught me, and just think I still have years of learning yet, sorry I hope no one just commented suicide,, lol ,, i'll try to ask better questions but no guaranties..

Latest posts

Back