when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down the road from me,
There's an old hollow tree,
Where you lay down a dollar or two,
Go 'round the bend,
Then you come back again,
And you get you some good old mountain dew.

CREATING LAYERS OF BODY
smiley17.gif

We came a long way from th beginning,we went through extracts,fpacs and the art of blending fruit with wine ( only a sampling I know but you get the premise) oaking creating layers of flavor (just like a good sauce) for the quantities we make we can make these adjustments without to much trouble,do you agree,,,,,basically the body and the structure of wine we can adjust you just have to first have the knowledge and the tools in your fix it kit........or at least the will to try it...
smiley9.gif
I have taken my wine into many directions sometimes good some times not so good but i continue to evolve as a wine maker through my own trial and errors...and THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX...if there something else you would like to cover and LET ME KNOW<<PM me ...or stay on when good wines gone bad....this is a subject everone should be able to handel...
smiley2.gif
my friend TEPE and I have traveled down this road together many a time...
smiley36.gif

Listen to Joe and learn "THINKING OUT OF THE BOX"

start of amarone international kit...the normal content you can find out,started the same way add the bentonite,1/2 gal of warm water and whisked it in ,(no change) next step is they ask you to bring it up to a 6 gallon mark,(ok).....and stir (ok)...add 3 packages of powdered oak( no)added 2.5 cups of french oak cubes and 1 bag of powdered oak (reserve the other two for later (these will be used to layer the texture in at different times...................check sg...at this point I personally don't care where the SG is..its a kit can't go to far off..added yeast 2 packets of premiere crever......wait 5/7 days then they ask you to add the dextrose( I make my own simple syurp and will bring the wine to the mfg. spects at that time......now we wait......

Joe, I have a few questions:
1. Why did you add two packages of yeast? Did that come with the kit or is the Primier Cuvee your choice?
2. Did the dextroxe come with the kit? I have never seen an instruction like that and I have made two Amarone kits.
3. When you say "bring the wine up to manufacturing specs." what do you mean?
4. Why the change in oak? That is, why did you go from what was provided to the French oak cubes and powdered oak?

Thanks.

joeswine said:
add 3 packages of powdered oak( no)added 2.5 cups of french oak cubes and 1 bag of powdered oak (reserve the other two for later (these will be used to layer the texture in at different times.

Please explain your oaking plan, you can't make us wait till the second episode.

lost the first post>>>.I guess the mfg. want a lot of abc. upfront,with inthe 5 to 7 day range they want you to capitalize the wine with the dexterous,which I will supplement with simple syrup,yeast was theirs,(came with the kit),,,,mfg. specs. (SG)....the change in the oak is to introduce more tannins up front and create a better balance in the end,only used one package of powdered oak really didn't need it for structure at this time(remember the layering)we will add as we go,to create moretexture and month fell,,,also by capitalizing the wine at that point there is ample yeast to take care of it ,simple syrup for me is easy to control,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,net step 5 to 7 days.....stay tooned

smiley1.gif
WENT DOWN THIS MORNING IT HAS A GREAT LOOKING CAP ON IT ,BETWEEN THE POWERED OAK AND THE CUDE OAK,INFUSED WITH THE YEAST, IT TASTE IS STILL VERY FRUITY THATS WHY THE CAPITOLZATION PROCESS STILL TIME 5/7 DAYS ISN'T HERE YET,MADE MY SIMPLE SYURP,MIGHT ADD THE RASINS ALSO..........WE'LL SEE
smiley4.gif

set up the amarone as per mfg. specs. to 1.010 add simple syrup to achieve that end and yes it started to re ferment....will see..what they intend to do ?...doesn't look to tasty at this point but we can alter that equaision.......in a heart beat..but first there way

try this for example I did..took a wine selections kit (symphony)after it was completed, add the zest of 2 valencia oranges ,2 lemons and 2 grapefruit with a splash of coconut extract,what a refreshing tropical summer wine......taste like a pina colada

IT"S a easy thing to do with any white wine kit,inexpensive,ones work well,,,,,,after fermentation and but before clearing add the zest,let it set a few weeks or until the zest turns whitish..then you will know the oils are extracted.....great for making sangria's with also...
smiley2.gif
..also when whites have lost their taste for some reason,(when good wines gone bad)

the amarone saga continues>>>>>>>>>>>>
smiley1.gif
.....after primary was over I removed enough wine to add room for the raisins(1LB sun maid) to fill the 6 gallon carboy to the top...secondary infusion is started ,plus if your remember,there were 3 packages of powdered oak,I added the second package of powdered oak at this time (layering )..this will give the wine more body with out additives....

HAS ANY ONE ELSE TRIED THE ZEST APPROACH....TO CORRECT ING OR ENHANCING A GOOD WINE GONE BAD

SAVE MY MELBEC
smiley19.gif

today I received 6 gallons of MELBEC from a lady winemaker in our group,she made this and bottled it after a while she opened a bottle and it popped she then opened another and full of gas ,we all know the scenario,I proceeded to put the wine in my 8 gallon open fermenter and stirred it until there were almost know gas left ,this then left me with a wine with not as much taste as she you like and definitely not the original taste which she love,,,,what to do, enter the fix it kit
smiley17.gif
,placed back into a 6 gallon carboy and added 1/2 cup oak cubes and one package of powdered oak,1/2 bottle of grape concentrate and a pinch of kmet,we will let this set and see what transpires.
smiley36.gif
the amarone is well on its way to finishing the raisins are about done their process in the evolution of this wines transformation will remove and test....tonight
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back