Sour Blackberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Reaction score
HEEEEEEEEEELP I have a 5 gallon of blackberry i started January 1 2008 and it smells sour , sg is .995 and clear i have racked it 4 times. It Taste pretty good but kinda smells ranced.

Harry
smiley19.gif

I had a Blackberry Wine from Vintners Harvest Fruit Base that smelled off for awhile.....It tasted okay and we eventually bottled it.

We used RC-212 yeast and thought that was the cause, it it know to cause gas.....

At first we would decant it, which would clear the odor and then the smell went away on it's own.

I think the big guys would tell you to stir the Devil out of it....
Have also heard that if you sweeten it a bit that might go away....Personally we don't care for sweetened wines.

Harry, time will be your friend on this one. The off smell will dissipate over time. I had the same problem with a merlot, and 1.5 years later it is fine.

It just needs some aging Harry. As Peter said, the off smell will dissipate

Thank you all for the info, should i leave it in the carboy to age or can i bottle it?

Harry

You can do either but at around 3 months add another dose of k-meta.

wade said:
You can do either but at around 3 months add another dose of k-meta.

Hmmmmm, should I just move on the next topic and leave this alone or should i go ahead and give ole wade a bit of a hard time
smiley2.gif

Well, not being one given to passing up opportunity i think i'll just jump on in there !!!
smiley36.gif

So wade, if I am understanding you correctly, if he goes ahead and bottles his wine then in 3 monthe he needs to uncork it and add another dose of k-meta ?

Latest posts

Back