WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I are drinking our first bottle of this. I think we bottled it 6 months ago. As I recall I made it pretty much by the directions, might be some extra tannins. It is still very young, but when I have her a glass, she asked if it was a commercial bottle we bought a few weeks ago. This is going to be really good in another year or so.

I put it all in when stabilizing as per the instructions. In fact, I just did that yesterday with my Stag's Leap Merlot. At the end of 8 or 10 days, I rack it off the sediment, re-sanitize the cubes and put them back in the carboy for the 28 day period.
What do you mean by resanitize the oak cubes?

I'm hoping to squeeze as much out of the primary as I can.

The instructions say not to top up. But, I can't see it sitting for 3 months on oak and be a liter or so low. Will need to top it with something good.

I top up with a good Bordeaux type wine e. g. Merlot, Cab or I did use Petite Verdot. That way you are not diluting and don't give access to air.

How does it compare to the Cab Eclipse kit?

To other merlow kits?

I have made the Cab Eclipse kit and I would say it is every bit as good as that and maybe just a little more. I can't comment on other Merlot kids as this is the first I have made, but I would guess it is among the best.

I was wondering how much is optimal for aging in bulk vs. In the bottle. Also when you talk about how old the kit is do you mean from when it was clarified , stated or something else.

I appreciate the feedback.

If you don't tweak your wine there is no advantage to bulk aging.

If you don't tweak your wine there is no advantage to bulk aging.

That may be true for some folks, but for me aging in bulk has several advantages:

First and foremost, BA allows time for all of the sediment to drop and a nice, clear wine for bottling without filtering, which I prefer.

Second, bulk aging in either oak barrels or in carboys with oak products allows me to add natural oak flavors I like, as well as the other benefits of barrels (microx and concentration)

Third, I'm just not good enough to taste a young, green wine and know whether or not it will need to have pH / TA adjustments later in life. At over a year of age, I'm much better at that aspect.

Fourth, I'm not good enough to blend green wines to produce the best blends. I need to be able to taste them as they have developed more of their ultimate flavor profiles.

Not last, but still important to me, storing wine in bulk takes up a lot less space than the bottled wine. Once bulk aged for a year or two before bottling, the bottled wine is closer to drinking age and has taken up less space. Although bulk wine ages more slowly than bottled (purportedly), I still see the space advantage as desirable.

Just one more opinion........

Although bulk wine ages more slowly than bottled (purportedly), I still see the space advantage as desirable.

I've been curious about this. Recently I asked a question about waiting for sorbate taste to dissipate and would that happen quicker in the bottle or in the carboy.
I just hate to bottle something before I know it's ready and getting better. Since you added "purportedly" I take it that nobody really knows this for sure though.

I've been curious about this. Recently I asked a question about waiting for sorbate taste to dissipate and would that happen quicker in the bottle or in the carboy.
I just hate to bottle something before I know it's ready and getting better. Since you added "purportedly" I take it that nobody really knows this for sure though.

I say "purportedly" because I recall reading it, but don't know where and can't verify. The context was an article about aging fine wines and the general implication was that the larger format bottles age longer, bigger the bottle, longer it ages. A carboy seems to be large format.

Personally, I think that a sweetened wine with sorbate in it is more of an early drinker anyway, so if it's tasty and properly degassed and clear, I don't hesitate to bottle those.......

Latest posts

Back