Specific gravity unchanged secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo

Junior
Reaction score
My first kit and first post. Island Mist Strawberry White Merlot initial SG on target at 1.050. After 7 days in primary = 1.000. target was <1.010. SG has remained at 1.000 after 10 days. I picked up carboy and "swirled" it twice a day until day 14 and it remains at 1.000. Goal is <.996. Should I have tried to rack more of my "slurry" into secondary? Should I have racked it to secondary sooner? My temperature goal was 72-75 and i was always there or within a couple of degrees on both sides for short periods of time. Thanks

Hi johnnyo - and welcome. Have never made a kit before so take what I say with a pinch of salt. My experience has been that often wines stop for weeks or even months at 1.000 and then drop the last few points out of the blue. While a gravity of 1.000 does suggest that there might be as much as 4 points of sugar (about - what? an ounce and a half of residual sugar in every gallon that might still ferment), a gravity of 1.000 is pretty close to the end. It's possible that your racking removed too many of the active yeast cells - which may mean that in the days, weeks to come those remaining will reproduce and complete the job. What I might do is taste the wine. If it tastes too sweet then if the instructions do not restrict this I would simply allow the wine to sit quietly for another few weeks. But I checked the instructions (they are available online) and they suggest that you may contact Wine Expert with questions. That said, the problem may have nothing to do with your wine but with your hydrometer. Hydrometers are calibrated to offer readings at specific temperatures. Have you checked your hydrometer in a phial of distilled water?

I believe you are within the error of reading the hydrometer. your wine is complete. provide dosage of sorbate and k-meta per kit instructions and go ahead and bottle. enjoy

Latest posts

Back